Is 272xp enough saw for milling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I thought about wearing a respirator, with the VOC filters. it was so hot the first time we cut I didn’t wear it. It’s not bad as long as there is a bit of a breeze. The exhaust at wide open throttle for a milling cut is pretty clean we you compare it to all the the start stop and idling of more normal usage. That said if it were a still day and I would rather wear the respirator than breathe it all day. I’m used to the whole mask thing now anyway

Evan

I thought about wearing a respirator, with the VOC filters. it was so hot the first time we cut I didn’t wear it. It’s not bad as long as there is a bit of a breeze. The exhaust at wide open throttle for a milling cut is pretty clean we you compare it to all the the start stop and idling of more normal usage. That said if it were a still day and I would rather wear the respirator than breathe it all day. I’m used to the whole mask thing now anyway

Evan
I tried to use mold remediation goggles, but they instantly filled with sweat over the summer. I think I will like them in the winter. The respirator wasn't bad and once I had it on for a few passes I didn't even notice it anymore. In fact I prefer it to the medical type mask I wear when I have to do business at an establishment that refuses contactless precautions. If the respirator had a filtered exhaust I would wear it for such dealings, but people would probably give me even dirtier looks...

1610115214949.png

You could try this next time

That would not work. I am looking at 3-M masks with replacement cartridges.

That would not work. I am looking at 3-M masks with replacement cartridges.
I hope you’re able to find safety gear and masks that work for you. I’ve found I’m really useless with eye protection and a mask would be sweet but I struggle trying to wear one of those when I’m working on the mill which is weird because I wear one all the time at work. The screen eye protection might work for you with a mask. Maybe for ear protection something you can take on and off easy because at least in my case , it seems like someone always interrupts and has questions

I tried to use just the mesh face shield on my forestry helmet, but the dust still got into my eyes. The mold goggles are nice because they have a strap vs stems, which are uncomfortable with the over the ear hearing protection. I double up on ear pro because I like to hear birds sing and I got enough hearing damage in the Army. Hearing damage is cumulative and cannot be reversed, aka it doesn't get better over time, just worse. I can talk to my wife with my Surefire EP3 in ears, but when I have both layers on I can't hear anything. Milling lumber becomes a meditative experience when it happens at low volume. I can't wait to get some nicer over the ear for a near silent experience.

Reactions: Diabel
The plan is to mill in April. Before the heat and bugs. I should be ok with the mask, i wear glasses and hate when a drop of sweat falls on your lenses...you technically have to stop cutting. Ear protection i have a hard time with. Tried several while cutting but have a hard time keeping it on

1610117510231.png

The plan is to mill in April. Before the heat and bugs. I should be ok with the mask, i wear glasses and hate when a drop of sweat falls on your lenses...you technically have to stop cutting. Ear protection i have a hard time with. Tried several while cutting but have a hard time keeping it on
I wear ear plugs or I’ve put a small wad of toilet paper in my mouth to wet it and roll it into an ear size ball. That sounds gross but that’s logging. It takes the edge off and allows to hear a bit.

I wear ear plugs or I’ve put a small wad of toilet paper in my mouth to wet it and roll it into an ear size ball. That sounds gross but that’s logging. It takes the edge off and allows to hear a bit.
I did pick up a can of earplugs. It does muffle the sounds a bit. Works great when my wife is talking to me.....
I am hoping that i will get use to the complete ear protection. When i am cutting or bucking i seem to be in need of complete awareness of my surroundings and when i cannot hear anything, it throws me off.

I did pick up a can of earplugs. It does muffle the sounds a bit. Works great when my wife is talking to me.....
I am hoping that i will get use to the complete ear protection. When i am cutting or bucking i seem to be in need of complete awareness of my surroundings and when i cannot hear anything, it throws me off.
Yup. I came super close to getting hurt really bad trying to wear eye protection. Can’t see for crap now. Doctor says I have scar tissue on my lense or something. Doesn’t surprise me. I can work all day with a chip in my eye. Often dig it out in the morning covered in goo. Sounds bad but try the toilet paper. Just enough. I still hear good unless the wife is telling me something

I was talking to my neighbors last weekend. They took some chains in and had them ground at 10 degree angle ( I think that’s right) They said they didn’t cut better but lasted a little longer

My chisel bit grinder doesn’t have any marked angle so I have no idea what I’m running for angle. It’s pretty close to factory though. Seems like I made the top plate angle slightly thicker so not to dull as quick but still decent for regular cutting

I am looking at oregon chains on amazon. Confusing. Description for one says “it fits bars with .050, 0.058, 0.063 gauge. So, which one is it? Is the diff. So small that it does not matter? The bar i want to put this chain on is 0.050 and if the chain happens to be 0.063 as per me it will be too tight.

I am looking at oregon chains on amazon. Confusing. Description for one says “it fits bars with .050, 0.058, 0.063 gauge. So, which one is it? Is the diff. So small that it does not matter? The bar i want to put this chain on is 0.050 and if the chain happens to be 0.063 as per me it will be too tight.
You can't put a .063 loop on a .050 bar. I don't like Oregon chain, ,look at Carlton/Woodland Pro 30rp (.050 ripping chain) on Amazon or Bailey's online. I do have a Oregon bar, but generally speaking I wish it were an OEM Stihl or Husqvarna bar. It's a Powercut 24" .050, but for the large Husqvarna stud pattern. The 30rp loops come set at 10* on the top plate which yields a pretty nice finish. Especially when you hit it with the grinding stone with the lube paste. I have been sharpening my loops at 5* top plate and 10* downward angles for a smoother finish but a slower cut. This seems to hold a nice edge and gives me a nice cut. I usually rip all the bark cuts and then sharpen the chain before I start cutting boards. I'm hoping to invest in a pressure washer in the near future to try and make the slab cuts a bit easier on the chain.

If you do go with Oregon ripping chain it comes factory set to 15* on the top plate, but I didn't like the huge kerf compared to the Carlton loops.

It probably won’t help to pressure wash. I suspect there’s mineral in the cambium. 50 gauge 36” bar? Wow, lol
I skid the logs, so yes, it will help in my case. Most folks that mill large quantities of wood pressure wash their logs before milling them whenever possible, at least this is the consensus on the Forestry forum. I also plan on using the pressure washer for other things, not just cleaning logs.

I tried pressure washing some logs I skidded without muck luck. Industrial sprayer 4000 psi. , older Doug fir though with some thick knarly bark so maybe better success in your case. I chipped all the bark off but dulling was same as a good quick wire brush and chip off where it’s caked on mud

These logs were not skidded but tossed around with an excavator. I am sure there are dirty. Hemlock bark is sometimes 1” thick. Will try peeling it but it will not be easy

These logs were not skidded but tossed around with an excavator. I am sure there are dirty. Hemlock bark is sometimes 1” thick. Will try peeling it but it will not be easy
Try one peeled and one just quickly wire brushed. You’ll see what I’m saying. Something in the cambium