is buckeye worth burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
we cut down a small buckeye today like 6 inch or so in diameter. Is it worth splitting? I got the wood stacked. According to a chart on here with a link it was 12 on BTU well the Ohio variety....but I don't remember what the flowers looked like so I could iD the variety? we got lots of downed trees but since most on hill going down hill. ... bit difficult... slabs are cheap but got to go and get them with a trailer. and most were prev black walnut...
thanks yall

Good question. All wood burns. I would think buckeye wood would be somewhat similar to horsechestnut, but I don't know anything about that as firewood either.

I googled it. One source said it's light, not too many BTUs, doesn't split easy.