Is it my wood? Summit performance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Fun little update today.
Got another gas bill today, it was only $40. Most of it is the minimum charges just to be hooked up to the system.
Also scored about 3 wheelbarrows full of apple wood from a neighbour who was cleaning up his carport. Been cut and split a couple of years. Filled the stove last night about 10:30pm, closed it down and was cruising at 750stt by 11pm. Up and out the door early this am, just got back to the stove at 11am. Stove was still 250stt and a little stire of the coals and this was still left!!

A82838F3-9B60-47AD-B1EF-D78056B1A347.jpeg

I’m amazed and jealous of you guys with access to a seasons suppply of hardwood!
So it really is the wood in my.case ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update. That sounds more like it. With dry hardwood 12 hr burn times are definitely doable.

I still have hot coals under the ashes after 12 hours and the stove is still warm, but I wouldn't call that a burn time. I consider the end of it when my fan turns off - which is never more than 8 hours with the intake choked down to the EPA stop (as far as it will go closed). I'm using dry oak in a Lopi Freedom.
But honestly - If your getting 10 to 12 hours of significant heat, I believe you; that's fabulous.

I have had 6 to 8 hour burn times with just cedar in my summit insert, calling burn times when the fan turns off. I have had over ten hours with locust splits, a lot of how the stove runs or is operated for me depends on outside temps and how the house is staying warm. Last night i filled my summit up with 2 big cedar splits and some very small locust splits and pieces to fill it up. 9 hours later my stove fan was still on with a warm house, but it was 27, 28 degrees last night. If it was 3 out the situation would have been a little different shorter burn times or more reloads, but everyone's situation, setup and heat requirements are different.

I have had 6 to 8 hour burn times with just cedar in my summit insert, calling burn times when the fan turns off. I have had over ten hours with locust splits, a lot of how the stove runs or is operated for me depends on outside temps and how the house is staying warm. Last night i filled my summit up with 2 big cedar splits and some very small locust splits and pieces to fill it up. 9 hours later my stove fan was still on with a warm house, but it was 27, 28 degrees last night. If it was 3 out the situation would have been a little different shorter burn times or more reloads, but everyone's situation, setup and heat requirements are different.

Nice! Same experiences here , we’ve had a warm winter here so I’ve mostly been playing trying to get long burn times as my heat load has been low. For me I’m happy and define burn times as coming back to a warm stove with enough coals I can load it up and it will take off on its own in a few minutes.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Well cut my first load of firewood for next season today. Cut it all to 18” instead of 16”, also split it a fair amount bigger. Will be interesting to see how that affects things next year, now to wait....

Well it’s that time of year again! Have had a a couple small fires at night just to take the chill off and so that the house isn’t 65 in the mornings. Last year burned almost all my wood, about 3.5 cords in total. Cleaned my chimney last night after work. It’s very easy to clean due to my setup, only takes about 15 min. Was pleasantly surprised how little buildup I had.
E2C2BEB2-E99A-4C63-80A7-EA2A8548ACE2.jpeg

DC0718CA-8EDD-4B03-B352-636176D35086.jpeg