Is Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnywarm

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 12, 2007
Connecticut
Worth the trouble to cut and split??

John

No, not at all. Send it to me.

If it wasnt most of us out west wouldnt have woodstoves. It burns hot and fast, not Oak but when there is 100,000 acres of it around you burn it . Just, as with all wood, season it well.

If its free and its all you have the its worth it. If you have just as easy access to a hardwood anyone with any sense would take that instead (more BTU per log).

Many on here say if its free and it burns, take it and run.

I am a pellet head now. I will be doing wood next year along with pellets. I have two pine trees in the yard that i will take down in the spring. Ok it is free and i will season it. How long to season??? it will be stacked correctly and get plenty of air.

Thank You john

Edit your profile to include your location....

In most areas Pine can season in a year, or even half a year if its arid and sunny all summer. Pine will season around twice as fast as hard woods if its split from what I have read / heard.

jtp10181 said:
Edit your profile to include your location....

In most areas Pine can season in a year, or even half a year if its arid and sunny all summer. Pine will season around twice as fast as hard woods if its split from what I have read / heard.

Thanks and sorry. Connecticut. I wish Florida. I would go Propanelolololol

johnnywarm said:
Worth the trouble to cut and split??

John
No, we import all our wood because its a cold climate here and 90% of our wood is pine. The hardwood from down south is the only thing able to heat our homes. %-P

Attachments

• Is Pine
    loggin.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 637
  • Is Pine
    ffffffff.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 588
I burn a some Ponderosa and jack pine every year with good results. It's a bit pitchy when splitting and stacking but it seasons fast and I still get 7-8 hour burns on low with my stove(s).

Its starting to sound good.

I am now burning pine. It was a dead standing large diameter tree and seasoned to very dry dryness over this last summer. It's all fine to burn except.... except when you get near the bottom and the outside is covered in this white hard layer of pitch. I threw in a split with a white outside and boy oh boy did it burn like a torch. Made me quite nervous. Maybe what they call fatwood. Avoid that part of the tree or save it for firestarter.

I am an Oak snob and still love pine.
It is the best for getting a stove hot FAST and for using to get a nice bed ready for the oak.
Pine is also great on those nights where it isnt going to be COLD, just enough BTU to take the chill off.

Highbeam said:
I am now burning pine. It was a dead standing large diameter tree and seasoned to very dry dryness over this last summer. It's all fine to burn except.... except when you get near the bottom and the outside is covered in this white hard layer of pitch. I threw in a split with a white outside and boy oh boy did it burn like a torch. Made me quite nervous. Maybe what they call fatwood. Avoid that part of the tree or save it for firestarter.

Yep that is fatwood. get it when you can and split it real small, makes a great starter, if its good you can start it with a match.

Fatwood Sounds Interestinglololol

I forgot to ask about Burning Burch for a Buddy. How does it burn??

thanks John

+1 to the comments about fatwood. Learn to spot it. Sometimes you'll see pitch (crusty crystalized-sugar looking stuff) on the outside... sometimes it is heart wood and just looks a little more marbled or translucent with a more variegated grain. Either way it lights with a match and burns like an old tire. Nice for kindling, not so nice if you got a hot fire going and throw a "fatty" log in... you'll see yellow flame and soot you didn't know your stove could make.

But once you weed out the fatwood, pine burns fine and the kind around here at least (Radiata) splits easy and dries fast.

Eddy

EddyKilowatt said:
+1 to the comments about fatwood. Learn to spot it. Sometimes you'll see pitch (crusty crystalized-sugar looking stuff) on the outside... sometimes it is heart wood and just looks a little more marbled or translucent with a more variegated grain. Either way it lights with a match and burns like an old tire. Nice for kindling, not so nice if you got a hot fire going and throw a "fatty" log in... you'll see yellow flame and soot you didn't know your stove could make.

But once you weed out the fatwood, pine burns fine and the kind around here at least (Radiata) splits easy and dries fast.

Eddy

Thanks Eddy.

Do you or anybody else have a picture of "fatwood" ?????

If you're going to work with pine, make sure to have a big bottle of Lestoil handy. (to get the pitch off you).
Pine is good.........

swestall said:
If you're going to work with pine, make sure to have a big bottle of Lestoil handy. (to get the pitch off you).
Pine is good.........

i'm looking forward to that. :)

If you go to EBAY and search fatwood there are some pictures there.

swestall said:
If you go to EBAY and search fatwood there are some pictures there.

here is a pic of what i have

Attachments

• Is Pine
    IMG_0329_1_2_1.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 278
nshif said:
here is a pic of what i have

Thats it. Is this wood at the bottom of the tree???If it is, How high up from the Ground.

John

Usually in the bottom 3' or so of the butt just above ground, seems to me to be more prevelent when trees are droped in the winter, but I have seen it in summer. I usually cut about 6" to a foot and split down to 1/2 to 1" pieces. One butt ( 2-3' ) will easly last me a year, I dont start many fires from scratch once winter sets in but if trying to save a dying bed of coals it works great just toss a handfull in, give it a min or so and load up some small splits

I thought I would be a smartypants and just split off the outer layer of the round which is the obvious white pitch. Well, it turns out that the inside was quite fat and the wife sooted up the glass. It burns right off of course but now she is leery of the pine. Me too. I don't want to waste the good stuff so I am seperating it out into a fat pile.

Diesel fuel gets the pitch off of your hands too.

Status
Not open for further replies.