Is the reign of the ICE ending?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Incorrect. You're talking about a few fairly narrow windows of time, such as the American frontier period, or the formerly-named "dark ages". 2500 years ago, the average Athenian was living to age 85. The same can be said of the Roman's, at least those not dying in battle.

You selected some special point in place and time that I can't confirm or refute but in any case missed the point. I meant human history going back 30K years etc. The point being society technology etc evolves/improves so imagining we should continue to live the same way just because that's how we have always lived makes no sense. Not to mention we have lived in cities and towns largely to our benefit for a long time.

I'm not going to have the ridiculous debate that people lived longer 3 hundred or a thousand years ago before antibiotics etc.

You selected some special point in place and time that I can't confirm or refute but in any case missed the point. I meant human history going back 30K years etc. The point being society technology etc evolves/improves so imagining we should continue to live the same way just because that's how we have always lived makes no sense. Not to mention we have lived in cities and towns largely to our benefit for a long time.

I'm not going to have the ridiculous debate that people lived longer 3 hundred or a thousand years ago before antibiotics etc.
You mean before Dow chemical, asbestos, Glaxo, and Marlboro? If I have missed your point, it is because of the example you chose to illustrate it.

For most of history people died at 25 of horrible diseases and injuries.

I cannot think of a period of history where this statement is correct. For most of recorded human history, anyone making it to age 25 was very likely have a life expectancy similar to our own modern history. The low "average life expectancy" figures you may remember from history class are almost entirely due to infant and child mortality creating a very strong downward skew. Like one "zero" in an otherwise decent school term, a few dead 3-month old kids can really drag down the average quickly.

You're confusing or at least conflating life span and expectancy but in any case I disagree and I'm out. Let's talk about your truck or splitter, good luck with both BTW, sincerely.

lol... no hard feelings intended, jatoxico. Just a boring Thursday, I guess, watching a few computers run computations. Wasn't trying to pick a fight!

Reactions: jatoxico
From the death of the infernal combustion engine to the death of humans in 16 pages. One certainty is that they will both die over time.

Prolly time for a wrap here. Philosophy can continue in the Inglenook.

Status
Not open for further replies.