Is there a pellet shortage already!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yup, I got the confirmation... note i said 4 days, yes, i'ts after 3:30, their biz hours, so today is gone as far as i'm concerned now...

View attachment 139475

I was pretty straight forward in my request.
Said what I want, how much
When I can take delivery/be home

i should be a pretty easy reply, ok, it's $xx to deliver, have a check ready on XX day at YY am.

maybe i'll just go and pick up my self half ton at a time in my dinky truck :/
If it's close enough, I would

i'm 3 miles away... my truck just sucks and can't haul more than a 1/2 ton at a time

Last edited:
Do it. It will give you time to rest stacking 1/2 ton at a time.

I'm not worried about the labor... i'm in pretty good shape.

it's more about the back and forth time. will take all day to make 6 trips, and they aren't open sunday, and saturday is fishing morning.... lol

While most people think P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute," this famous entrepreneur actually never said, wrote, and probably never even thought that line. He was too smart a businessman to treat the consumer with disrespect.
I guess the quote is the stuff of legend, but I believe there is some serious price gouging going on in some places from the prices I have seen here and elsewhere, much the same as when some gas station prices skyrocket when there is any tightness in supply much greater than what would be expected.

Why o why didn't we make arrangements in April or May don't want to sound smart but I just got my stove in June and heeded to the warnings from this site why???
Why?? Because YOU can READ and if worse came to worse and there were NO shortages, then the only downside would be your garage would be filled earlier with your 6 tons rather than later. Not to jump ahead to NEXT season, but anyone who asked what the rush is/was this season, won't be saying it next year! I will always be a Spring pellet buyer!

Reactions: Big papa
A lot of this season's stash was burned in april and may .... the winter that never ended.

So what you're finding is stocks were depleted, and people who usually stash more ran completely out and need to buy more than usual.

I have 1 ton in house as of right now.

I submitted a request monday at BT's website... they still haven't replied to me. Crappy customer service, I don't care how busy they are. 4 days is unacceptable turn around time, even if it's to say 'we don't have it' for a $1000+ order.

HD still has a lot of chows and there's always TSC junk and GT's around. I'll hold out a little longer. Sunday, i'm taking the Dakota and making 15 trips back and forth i guess if they don't want my money.... screw 'em. I'm young (enough) and my back works.
I had NO problem with BT Pellet.... but then again, I called in early July - they scheduled me for the following Thursday and by 8:30am sharp as promised I had my 3 tons of LaCrete! After considering this last heating season, anyone who waited until now (or until recently) was foolish.

This thread is about now, not last April. You paid a premium that some of us aren't willing to pay, me included. For the 6 ton that I will eventually be purchasing (I have 4 now) I will have over $600 more in my pocket than you do. It's all a matter of personal preference and what your stove likes to eat. I've been purchasing pellets for 18 years now. I'm a bit concerned, but not panicking. There are enough people on this forum who "know" people who are closer to the supply and shipping info than me. I think they are offering us quality information.....JMHO
What I'm not willing to do is to have another $940.00 January electric bill (for a 'normal' January) for my electric baseboard heat! The thought of having to perhaps pay a few dollars extra for pellets in April / May is always less expensive than my electric alternative!!!

yup, I got the confirmation... note i said 4 days, yes, i'ts after 3:30, their biz hours, so today is gone as far as i'm concerned now...

View attachment 139475

I was pretty straight forward in my request.
Said what I want, how much
When I can take delivery/be home

i should be a pretty easy reply, ok, it's $xx to deliver, have a check ready on XX day at YY am.

maybe i'll just go and pick up my self half ton at a time in my dinky truck :/

That's unfortunate! They always provide awesome selections, competitive prices and easy delivery arrangements. No I don't work for them, but it's beat they would lose a customer because their lost in keeping up with demand. Give a call to their number and see how they respond. I'm sure it is an honest oversight and not malicious.

I ordered 2 tons a couple weeks ago and they're supposed to be delivered this week. I started thinking that I should have gotten more so I called a few places this afternoon and most places near me are already out for the season.

It appears that most people are stocking up. Wishing I had done the same

Your dad is a smart man! (hope he didn't have to learn that one the hard way!)

Your dad is a smart man! (hope he didn't have to learn that one the hard way!)
Nope he's 35 years not happily married as he says In Private lol I have 2 friends on there 3rd marriage.they both say different woman means different problems.should of stayed married to first.the judge and lawyers get all your hard earned cash.im a middle class guy not a 1% lol

Nope he's 35 years not happily married as he says In Private lol I have 2 friends on there 3rd marriage.they both say different woman means different problems.should of stayed married to first.the judge and lawyers get all your hard earned cash.im a middle class guy not a 1% lol
Nice - glad the ol' man can still keep a good sense of humor about this thing we all only have 1 shot at... LIFE! :cool:

Reactions: Ctcarl
My wife and I have been married 42 years. They were a couple of good years, yessir! The first and the last!

This is starting to sound like dearabby.com.

Yeah can anyone tell me where the pellet stove forum is?
It's where ever your wife TELLS you it is!!! Face reality! Clean the damn stove, NOW!

Yes dear

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Okay. Let's get this back on track! I'm a six pack into Thursday night football and there is a damn shortage of pellets and you can't tell me otherwise. Every pellet house is charging a rich premium and delivery and they only have half of the brands they had a month ago. Folks are buying their winters tonnage and they're smart to do it. If you didn't, you're short.

If you can sense I'm jealous of the Pennsylvania prices for hardwood furniture/floor by-product pellets like Turman, Somerset etc, that's because I am.

Last edited:
Okay. Let's get this back on track! I'm a six pack into Thursday night football and there is a damn shortage of pellets and you can't tell me otherwise. Every pellet house is charging a rich premium and delivery and they only have half of the brands they had a month ago. Folks are buying their winters tonnage and they're smart to do it. If you didn't, you're short.

If you can sense I'm jealous of the Pennsylvania prices for hardwood furniture/floor by-product pellets like Turman, Somerset etc, that's because I am.
Do you have enough pellets for the winter

Status
Not open for further replies.