Is there a pellet shortage already!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I paid $3.20/gal to have my tank topped off a couple weeks ago and the prices are still dropping here.
See, just like I said earlier, you are all happier than a pig in poop to pay $3.20 a gallon when 6 years ago you were paying $1.65! In my town, gas is $3.36 but 15 miles away it is $3.03! Some gouging going on??? Same with pellets, me thinks. They know what you were willing to pay last winter so why won't you pay it this year? If prices stay up, people WILL look elsewhere for a heat source. Right near my in-laws in Pa, they are running a 36" gas line as fast as they can!

I just heard a news report that they expect the average price for a gallon of regular gasoline to drop below $3.00 per gallon soon.

Reactions: RhodyPelletRook
I heard the same thing yesterday. Hope it really happens, that would be great!

I just heard a news report that they expect the average price for a gallon of regular gasoline to drop below $3.00 per gallon soon.
B F D!!!!!

Will the price of food and everything else that's transported using gas/diesel go down as well? Fuel prices were to blame for the rise so, of course, they should go back down.......... RIGHT!

Reactions: yrock87
You guys may be joking about it, but i'm honestly considering it at this point--- keep my 1 ton for 'ambience' and those really cold nights, and otherwise just run the oil pig this year. :shrug:

$3 oil vs $325 delivered tons is near break-even..... without the work

And my oil guy returns my calls/emails IMMEDIATELY. still no word from BT. lol

Reactions: ttdberg
You guys may be joking about it, but i'm honestly considering it at this point--- keep my 1 ton for 'ambience' and those really cold nights, and otherwise just run the oil pig this year. :shrug:

$3 oil vs $325 delivered tons is near break-even..... without the work

My break even point is either pellets over $500 per ton or oil under $2.00 per gallon.

makes me think that when they add this NG pipeline on my street i should spend the $ to plumb the house. keep in mind that as of right now NG is shipped and trained in from the west coast. we have one of the largest NG reserves on the north slope that is accessed by the oil industry up there, but as transportation is not possible they use it to power their equipment and burn off the rest. there is a big push to run all of fairbanks on NG and build a small pipeline on the exsisting trans-alaska oil line. but that is a pipe dream right now.

so, do i expand my options to include gas at a significant investment with no forseeable payoff? or pass on connecting to the line as i am planning on selling my home within the next 2-3 years.?

also, i would love $3 petrolium products! we are sitting at $4 deliverd for oil still, so my 8 tons will be (has been for the last 4 weeks)keeping me warm!

well, if my last 4 tons ever show up! paid for but not delivered, sounds like an intrest free loan!

My break even point is either pellets over $500 per ton or oil under $2.00 per gallon.

I'm right around there as well. Last year in February I paid $3.80/gal for oil. A ton of pellets (assuming 8700 BTU/lb) provides 17.4 million BTUs. To get that from oil (assuming 138,000 BTU/gal) I would need 126 gallons of oil. At $3.80/gal I'm at roughly $480 as my break even point on pellets. Granted that doesn't take into account that the stove probably won't heat the house as evenly as he oil heating system will, or the additional maintenance cost (chimney cleaning, etc.), I'm thinking at worst I will pay the same amount I do with oil while keeping the house warmer then the 65 I keep it at normally in the winter.

Wow, I am glad I got my delivery earlier this month. Pelletsdirect is not even taking orders on pellets right now.

Only ones I could find reasonably priced were at Lowes with delivery were Maine Choice. $239/ton $65 shipping. Home Depot where I am isn't delivering, only cash and carry and are -56 tons in the hole!

If it helps you, I stopped at Home Depot in Auburn yesterday and they had Stove Chows. I never burned them before, so I picked up a few bags to try. Maybe you could give them a call or stop by if it's close to you and see if they have enough inventory for what you need?

I'm just learning about this pellet Jazz and getting all sorts of reviews. It's almost not worth researching anymore. I went with what was available and anything with Maine in the name is good for me.

I'm not a very old guy, but it seems like fuel prices drop as an election day nears.

I'm right around there as well. Last year in February I paid $3.80/gal for oil. A ton of pellets (assuming 8700 BTU/lb) provides 17.4 million BTUs. To get that from oil (assuming 138,000 BTU/gal) I would need 126 gallons of oil. At $3.80/gal I'm at roughly $480 as my break even point on pellets. Granted that doesn't take into account that the stove probably won't heat the house as evenly as he oil heating system will, or the additional maintenance cost (chimney cleaning, etc.), I'm thinking at worst I will pay the same amount I do with oil while keeping the house warmer then the 65 I keep it at normally in the winter.

You can split hairs and compare BTU's of oil to pellets or say that I don't heat as much of the house as I used to or anything else. The only number I care about is what comes out of my bank account now when compared to how much would come out if I went back to how I used to heat with oil. I have cut my annual oil consumption from 900 to 300 gallons and now use 3 1/2 tons of pellets per year. As soon as 600 gallons of oil cost less than 3 1/2 tons of pellets, I'll switch back.

You can split hairs and compare BTU's of oil to pellets or say that I don't heat as much of the house as I used to or anything else. The only number I care about is what comes out of my bank account now when compared to how much would come out if I went back to how I used to heat with oil. I have cut my annual oil consumption from 900 to 300 gallons and now use 3 1/2 tons of pellets per year. As soon as 600 gallons of oil cost less than 3 1/2 tons of pellets, I'll switch back.
This happened in the early 80's when Carter went out of office. I stopped burning coal cause suddenly there was oil and cheap again. But not so sure its going to roll back hat far this time. And yes when I can buy oil cheaper than 3-1/2 tons of pellets I might do the same. But 700ish gallons for me. Thats with the house ay 67, if I heated to 73 like I do with pellets it would take a lot more oil then. But yes it would be more even heat with oil.

You could update your central heating system. A BTU is a BTU. You could put a space heater in your BR and only live in that room for the winter and say your saving money.

I'm not a very old guy, but it seems like fuel prices drop as an election day nears.

Prices decline on average 6.5% from July to November pretty much every year. And since election day is in November...

Prices decline on average 6.5% from July to November pretty much every year. And since election day is in November...

Sub $3/gal prices would be greater than a 6.5% drop where I live. Compared to today's prices, that would equal a 20%+ drop. I'd like to see diesel below $3 again! The past couple of years, I've been 'lucky' to see off-road diesel in the $3.50 range during the winter months.

It's interesting how even though DF pellets are in vast supply where I live, reading all these posts makes me want to buy a couple more tons.

Yeah, and on hardly any day of the year is your "average temperature" the average either.

You could update your central heating system. A BTU is a BTU. You could put a space heater in your BR and only live in that room for the winter and say your saving money.

Or I could do i the way I'm doing it now, have a warmer house and still occupy the same living spaces as I do the rest of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.