Is there a pellet shortage already!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just drove through local Lowe's parking lot where they stage the pellets. There is probably 100 tons of several different varieties out there, but every single one has a sold tag with someones name on it! It has been like this for the past 6-8 weeks, nothing listed in inventory but lot's going out.

Just drove through local Lowe's parking lot where they stage the pellets. There is probably 100 tons of several different varieties out there, but every single one has a sold tag with someones name on it! It has been like this for the past 6-8 weeks, nothing listed in inventory but lot's going out.

Laconia?

Reactions: sperley03
Yes

Gonna be one of those years when they are up to their butts in the things and lower prices in January. >>

Reactions: Peterfield
My sister in law is in southern New Hampshire and she has a hell of a time finding anything at pellet houses. Agway's pellets were on the come. Home depot (fireside and green supreme) and Lowe's showed Greene team but only has something else I can't recall.

The local TSC had a lot of choices. It was the one by Exeter. Best of luck.

Lowes atleast in Auburn, Maine also has Nature's Own ($239/ton) by Energex in addition to Greene Team ($299/ton) in stock. Free delivery with orders of 3 tons or more within 25 miles. Plus 10% discount for current or prior military service. Just need your DD214. With military discount Nature's Own is $216/ton, Greene Team $269/ton.

It is so strange how Lowes and HD deal with delivery charges different, based on location. First I heard HD in Maine delivers free if you buy x or more tons, now Lowes in Maine as well. No such luck anywhere around here, at least not that I'm aware of. It's at least $65 delivery charge, and honestly that's not a big deal, but I just think it's odd how some store locations do free delivery and others don't.

Reactions: bugman31964
It is so strange how Lowes and HD deal with delivery charges different, based on location. First I heard HD in Maine delivers free if you buy x or more tons, now Lowes in Maine as well. No such luck anywhere around here, at least not that I'm aware of. It's at least $65 delivery charge, and honestly that's not a big deal, but I just think it's odd how some store locations do free delivery and others don't.

HD has a flat fee of $65 no matter how many tons are purchased. This is the policy of the Auburn, Maine HD plus they would not extend a military discount for previous service. Only active and retired military personnel get the discount.

Lowes atleast in Auburn, Maine also has Nature's Own ($239/ton) by Energex in addition to Greene Team ($299/ton) in stock. Free delivery with orders of 3 tons or more within 25 miles. Plus 10% discount for current or prior military service. Just need your DD214. With military discount Nature's Own is $216/ton, Greene Team $269/ton.
I bought some Natures Own last year, the only pellet I ever brought back to get a refund. They may be by Energex but believe me they are not like Energex Premiums. Second point, here ( I know we are in different areas) I can get Energex Premium Hardwood for $299 and those are rated 8700 BTU vs Grean Team at 8000. Just sayin. I know you guys or some of you up North of us are hurting for pellet delivery and are feeling you need to get what you can now.. We bought Energex yesterday, they are tagged and I pick them up this weekend. Next week or so I think I will get some LG's for my start and stop shoulder pellet ( they light up real easy, quicker than hardwood does) and burn a bit fast but that won't matter for shoulder pellets..

FWIW, around here pellets are really just coming in with any volume. Cape Cod. I called some dealers back in May, they weren't stocking any or taking pre orders except the DF guy who I bought from in July right before he closed out his deal. So you guys say buy early, that's great maybe in your area but here you won't get them. where I get my Energex and LG from, they still had no pellets back at the end of Aug, well no selection just the one Energex Premium, what they call soft and someone in the forum told me they don't exist ! Anyway, have a nice weekend everyone.

You can split hairs and compare BTU's of oil to pellets or say that I don't heat as much of the house as I used to or anything else. The only number I care about is what comes out of my bank account now when compared to how much would come out if I went back to how I used to heat with oil. I have cut my annual oil consumption from 900 to 300 gallons and now use 3 1/2 tons of pellets per year. As soon as 600 gallons of oil cost less than 3 1/2 tons of pellets, I'll switch back.

I think you read my post wrong. Im in total agreement with you. The price of oil would need to come down substantially to make pellets not make sense even when youre paying a little more.

Problem im having right now is I can't get pellets. I have 2 tons coming tuesday and im trying to get some more and everyone is out

No, you misunderstood me. I wasn't saying anything against you but every time I start showing how much I save on oil vs pellets, someone will chime in and say my numbers make no sense because if you break it down BTU vs BTU, there is no way pellets can save me this much or other such thing.

Just for fun what dealer told you they didn't have Lacrete's and they were done for the season. and where exactly are you located?
(Just for fun)... I didn't say any dealer told me they were out for the season... I was responding to and quoting xSpecBx who mentioned that.

And my oil guy returns my calls/emails IMMEDIATELY. still no word from BT. lol
Sorry you're having such a horrible time with BT.... At least call you and give you SOME type of answer... like we won't be getting to your delivery until November... we are backed up.... no pellets... not enough drivers... anything!!!

I live in southeastern CT. so far I've called BT pellets, CT pellets (who I already have 2 tons of okanagans coming tuesday from) and state line pellets. All have said they're out for the season or not taking new customers

I live in southeastern CT. so far I've called BT pellets, CT pellets (who I already have 2 tons of okanagans coming tuesday from) and state line pellets. All have said they're out for the season or not taking new customers
WOW THAT'S CRAZY!!!!!!!! How about Blakeslee Pellet? They have a few listed including LaCrete!!!

WOW THAT'S CRAZY!!!!!!!! How about Blakeslee Pellet? They have a few listed including LaCrete!!!
I'll have to look again but I believe they were all out as well. I talked to primo pellets and they said they won't have anything till November.

BT told me to call back in 3 or 4 weeks and they may have more

OUCH! Well to all of those pellet burners out there who said we were suckers for buying in May - July and paying a premium unnecessarily plus that we should just wait and see... If September is like this, I hate to see when people start turning on the heat every day in only a few short weeks!!

Sounds like some people are finding some up in MA - if you get too nervous, maybe get a UHall and a couple of your friends who owe you a favor or two!

OUCH! Well to all of those pellet burners out there who said we were suckers for buying in May - July and paying a premium unnecessarily plus that we should just wait and see... If September is like this, I hate to see when people start turning on the heat every day in only a few short weeks!!

Sounds like some people are finding some up in MA - if you get too nervous, maybe get a UHall and a couple of your friends who owe you a favor or two!
Appreciate the advice. Its my first year with the stove so if I need to use oil it is what it is. I wasn't able to store more thwn 2 ton so that's what I ordered but I was able to make more space so now im back to looking.

Next year I buy in May. I have a few friends who over ordered so I may be able to get some of their extra.

I will try blakeslee tomorrow to see what they have.

I bought in April.

Appreciate the advice. Its my first year with the stove so if I need to use oil it is what it is. I wasn't able to store more thwn 2 ton so that's what I ordered but I was able to make more space so now im back to looking.

Next year I buy in May. I have a few friends who over ordered so I may be able to get some of their extra.

I will try blakeslee tomorrow to see what they have.
Awesome - best of luck - this is a heck of a year to be new at this! (pellet stoves are supposed to be EASY!!)

Just bought my last 2 ton this week . Had to pick 1 ton of Okies ( gold) on tuesday that's all pellets r us had in stock. Then gave them a call yesterday they just got a order in of Okies ( DF ) . Hopefully 5 ton will get it done.

They are all VERY inconsistent with all of their policies. I used my 10% off coupon from Lowes at Home Depot last season and have now been told by two different people at my local HD that the most they will give on a Lowes coupon is $50.00 (which doesn't even cover the delivery charge). I resorted to using HD card, just to save 5%. Very frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.