Is there a wood insert that would look good in this fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

matto

Nov 24, 2016
NY
I'm debating putting a fireplace insert into my fireplace in the main room of my house. My concern is that it's a beautiful fireplace and the opening is pretty huge: 50" wide, 25" high. I don't want to ruin the look.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a wood fireplace insert that would look good there with that large opening and stone work? Or are there ways of making a normal fireplace more efficient?

I have another insert downstairs, and I somewhat regret it. It cooks the downstairs, but the upstairs is still too cold - and I miss sitting by the fire! I want to warm the uptairs more. I've tried lighting a fire in the fireplace, but it makes the other end of the house sooo cold, and uses a ton of wood. :(

upstairs fireplace.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There are several choices with an oversized surround. For example the PE Summit with a 54" wide surround would work if there is enough depth. It needs 18". Or you could have a custom surround made up for inserts that don't have an option that's wide enough.

How large an area would the insert be heating? Is this an open floor plan? Are the ceilings extra high?

It's about 1200 feet upstairs but with extra high ceilings and lots of windows and sliding glass doors. Insulation is OK but not great.

I see the PE Summit would fit, but do you think it would look good? I was thinking it has to be a flush mounted stove to look at all decent. And that huge black surround.... I guess that's the only option? I can't say I think it would look good either. Does anyone have examples that mirror my scenario?

This is straight from the regency brochure. The CI2600, in a stone fireplace similar to mine. It doesn't look half bad.

I think it only goes to 42" bit I could probably extend it without it looking too bad.
9846a5ebfd0fa903959f3bbd3be6a57b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: