Is this an ALB?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
There is an active ALB infestation in the city of Worcester, MA which is two towns away from me. Currently I'm not in the wood quarantine zone but the next town over is. I was splitting wood from my neighbor's down the street today and this beetle caught my eye.

I personally don't think it's ALB as the antenna don't have the distinct white bands. Also the body has white but it's not dots. What do you think? I want to report it if we think it's ALB as they aren't supposed to be out this far. It was in my pile of Oak/Maple.

20210606_163200.jpg
20210606_163229.jpg
20210606_163258.jpg

Given that you are somewhat close to area with it I would call the Mass hotline. Not worth guessing.

Reactions: JimBear
Yeah thats fair. I was thinking better be safe than sorry and call too but wanted to see what the gang thought.

I agree doesn't have look of ALB, 'starry night' beetle, but better safe than sorry, and might learn something new.
Yes, bring to the attention of of your extension agents and USDA - APHIS.

ALB= a lost bruin

Haha. Tough L but hard to be mad, they were down two top 4 D and Tuukka had a torn labrum. I think they should have played the kid but likely wouldn't have mattered. D was too soft.

Did you find out what it was?