Is this Blaze King Any Good??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
True confession: Sometimes I yank my Princess's door open suddenly to get a little puff of wood smoke into the house. Sitting by the fire smells right after that. :)
That's not healthy for the dogs!

Really, heating a large outbuilding with a wood stove is always going to be a challenge since you usually aren't keeping it warm but trying to play catch up to heat the cold shop up for the weekend.
Maybe use the same approach I've been trying to sell my SIL on; Let the house get cool, maybe 60, when you are away, then bump the backup heat for fifteen minutes when you get back while you fire up the stove.
I think a King would make a kickass shop stove
Yes, if it were a pretty small ass it was trying to kick. A medium-sized or larger ass, the King would disappear into its crack and never be heard from again. ==c

And...some "jerky smell" in the house might be fine to one person, but others not tolerable.
.12” wc instead of .08 it all goes away (so I heard;em)

I helped my brother with a similar situation when he first bought his house with a 30x40 shop it was setup for a wood stove with 6" flue in the front corner after some convincing and a chat with his insurance company he changed his mind. We put a forced air furnace behind the shop in a lean to and ran a small amount of duct work through the wall for supply and air return.. The return even had a filter on it this setup worked great for several years was only discontinued when the 40x50 addition was added and a heat-mor boiler.

Hi all! I own a blaze king that we use in our home. Love it. I have a 40x40 shop that I put an Englander stove in earlier this year (on a budget) and it's just not cutting it. It burns through too much wood and doesn't heat all that great.

I have been looking for another Blaze King (King model) for the shop. I came across this one (see pic) and was curious what you all thought on price and what not. It's a catalyst stove and has a double fan. Seller bought it to heat their home about 25 years ago so this one must be built in the Mid -90's. Any thing I should stay away from or be aware of? I don't NEED a stove so unless I find a deal i'll likely wait until next year.

Also the current stove pipe is 6" and this one has an 8" outlet. From what I read it sounds like this could be a problem for proper air flow if I keep the 6" pipe for a stove with an 8" outlet. Or will it be okat?

Thanks so much!
How dare you question the almighty blaze king ha

.12” wc instead of .08 it all goes away (so I heard;em)

Where’d you hear that? I’m running .05” on mine, damper controlled and continuously monitored, and no smoke smell issues. I think those experiencing smoke smell issues had a combination of other factors leading to the problems, and that all but 1 or 2 were eventually resolved.

Just one small demonstration on the complexity and elusiveness of this issue, the few times I’ve ever experienced any smoke smell in the house seemed to be when wind was carrying the smoke from one of my chimneys in one wing of the house across our little courtyard to another wing of the house, where it was getting drawn in thru windows as make-up air. Thankfully it happened once in daylight so that I could see that was what had happened, and the wind has only blown that direction a few times in a half dozen years. Even then it was pretty minimal.

Where’d you hear that? I’m running .05” on mine, damper controlled and continuously monitored, and no smoke smell issues. I think those experiencing smoke smell issues had a combination of other factors leading to the problems, and that all but 1 or 2 were eventually resolved.

Just one small demonstration on the complexity and elusiveness of this issue, the few times I’ve ever experienced any smoke smell in the house seemed to be when wind was carrying the smoke from one of my chimneys in one wing of the house across our little courtyard to another wing of the house, where it was getting drawn in thru windows as make-up air. Thankfully it happened once in daylight so that I could see that was what had happened, and the wind has only blown that direction a few times in a half dozen years. Even then it was pretty minimal.

I think this was specific to running a King on a 6" flue. If draft is strong enough it might work!

That happens to me occasionally, depends on the wind direction, usually wind from a warmer SW direction

They do run on undersized flues, works for some but maybe not for all.
image.jpg

Reactions: Highbeam
I have the feeling that if everyone had a decent manometer and we discussed this topic in terms of inches of water column instead of flue diameter, it would be pretty obvious why some people are happy and some people aren't.
Simply matching the flue pressure is not what you need to do. What you need to do is match the volume and velocity. A 6" flue has much lower volume than an 8". So to make the stove work the same you would need to greatly increase the velocity in that 6" stack to compensate for the reduced area. The only way to do that is by dropping the flue pressure lower in that 6" stack.

Reactions: jetsam
Simply matching the flue pressure is not what you need to do. What you need to do is match the volume and velocity. A 6" flue has much lower volume than an 8". So to make the stove work the same you would need to greatly increase the velocity in that 6" stack to compensate for the reduced area. The only way to do that is by dropping the flue pressure lower in that 6" stack.

But lower pressure would result in less air volume moved through the flue (not to be confused with the volume of the flue itself, or the cross sectional area of the flue).

Increasing pressure should increase velocity, not decrease it?

But lower pressure would result in less air volume moved through the flue (not to be confused with the volume of the flue itself, or the cross sectional area of the flue).

Increasing pressure should increase velocity, not decrease it?
No decreasing the pressure would increase the vacum in the pipe increasing velocity. We are talking about negative values here so as the numbers go up you are decreasing pressure.

Reactions: jetsam