Is this cherry or?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

colsmith

Feeling the Heat
Apr 11, 2006
near Milwaukee, WI
Hi, we were cutting up a tree today and I'm not sure what it is. Think it could be cherry, although I thought all our old cherry trees were already dead and gone. Anyway a cherry tree used to grow right around there, and I thought the bark and wood looked vaguely cherry like. Any opinions on what it is? Fairly heavy and looks sort of like fruit wood. We sometimes cut down old apple trees, less often pear, we have a 65 year old orchard, so most of the trees are on the way out. Could be something else entirely, though.

wood.jpg

Bark looks like cherry to me.

Crack one of those rounds open and if it smells like Wintergreen it most likely is Black Birch. If not, then I'd say Cherry.

Either way it's good fuelwood!

Some kind of cherry, I'm thinking. But I'm wondering if it's choke cherry.

Some kind of cherry, I'm thinking. But I'm wondering if it's choke cherry.
Does choke cherry get that big? Looks like cherry to me, any shots of the branches?

Give it a good sniff . . . I love that sweet smell of black cherry wood.

The best smelling wood to burn! I wish it was a little more dense but it's great shoulder season and smoking wood. I mix it in with my oak/ash when I want a shorter fire.

bark looks like cherry. i just took down a cherry in the back it was a choke cherry and the wood is much more deeper orange than that. but second on split one and smell it. if it's cherry it will smell good enough to eat.