Is this normal? Chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Ok here's some pictures I took today. Thankfully i was wrong about the flue size. I might actually be able to fit a 6" insulated liner. The tiles are 18*13 with an inner dimension of 15 3/16” * 10 7/16”. So that said this may not be as difficult as I initially thought.

The bad though is from the bottom of the smoke deck to the top floor tile is only 10' 11". Very short chimney overall. View attachment 230446 View attachment 230447 View attachment 230448
Yeah that will be a really easy fit. But you need to get all of that glazed creosote out of there first.

if an insulated flex liner (zero clearance)is used in the op chimney why would he have to remove all the black stuff? Correct me here if the liner has insulation wrapped wouldn’t the insulation on the outside of it be cool to touch? This was my understanding of helping heat stay inside the liner or I’m wrong?

if an insulated flex liner (zero clearance)is used in the op chimney why would he have to remove all the black stuff? Correct me here if the liner has insulation wrapped wouldn’t the insulation on the outside of it be cool to touch? This was my understanding of helping heat stay inside the liner or I’m wrong?
No it is zero clearance to combustibles on the other side of 4" of masonry. It will not be cool to the touch and in the event of a chimney fire it can be hot enough to ignite that creosote. Then you would have a fire between the old liner and new liner which is very hard to put out.

Easiest way to do that?
I would start with a rotary cleaner with chains on. If that doesnt work it would need chemically cleaned.

How do I get the liner hooked up to the stove and out the damper at the rear of the hearth? It looks like it would be a very tight angle coming off the top of a stove.

How do I get the liner hooked up to the stove and out the damper at the rear of the hearth? It looks like it would be a very tight angle coming off the top of a stove.
I knocked some brick out to do mine, sometime you can get an angled connector depending on the angle, they have different sizes.

Measurements of the masonry hearth. Definitely going to open up the damper frame. It looks like I might be able to fit this with a top exhaust after all. It's abouta 45* shift into the flue from the damper.

Attachments

• IMG_20181009_185310554.jpg
    IMG_20181009_185310554.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_20181009_174153995.jpg
    IMG_20181009_174153995.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_20181009_175846290.jpg
    IMG_20181009_175846290.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 243
Wow that smoke chamber is a mess. That is going yo be tough to clean

The bad though is from the bottom of the smoke deck to the top floor tile is only 10' 11". Very short chimney overall.
That is short. Will you be extending it? What insert will be going in here?

Why don't you pursue a HO insurance claim a little harder? It does cover stupid mistakes,(no offense). If I'm sweating a copper pipe in my basement and accidentally start a fire, it's covered, it's considered an accident., not arson.

That is short. Will you be extending it? What insert will be going in here?

Would a short chimney like that cause too much draft or not enough?

Too little for many stoves/inserts.

Why don't you pursue a HO insurance claim a little harder? It does cover stupid mistakes,(no offense). If I'm sweating a copper pipe in my basement and accidentally start a fire, it's covered, it's considered an accident., not arson.

I plan on it as soon as things settle down from the hurricane. The insurance companies around here are going crazy right now.

I've read a minimum of 16', but that's another 5' up from my current flue tiles. How would that even be supported?
Well it is typically measured from either the floor of the insert or the top of it depending on the manufacturer. So it shouldnt be 5' up but you may need an extension. It is done with a transition plate and a section of class a chimney.

Well it is typically measured from either the floor of the insert or the top of it depending on the manufacturer. So it shouldnt be 5' up but you may need an extension. It is done with a transition plate and a section of class a chimney.

If it's from the floor of the insert then it would only be another 2.5' or so.

I plan on it as soon as things settle down from the hurricane. The insurance companies around here are going crazy right now.

I don't think I would wait too long to get a claim started. That's a primary sticking point - claims must be made within a certain time of the incident. Then you can do your waiting after you know you are in the lineup.

I don't think I would wait too long to get a claim started. That's a primary sticking point - claims must be made within a certain time of the incident. Then you can do your waiting after you know you are in the lineup.

I'll have to check on it then. The chimney fire was identified back in January or February if I remember correctly.

Yes but supporting 2 to 3 feet is much easier than 5'

And yeah thats a long time they may have a problem with that. We do lots of liners for insurance though. It is commonly covered

There are some inserts like Enviro and PE inserts that will work ok on 12-13' of liner. Insulating it will help.

Last edited: