Is this poison ivy right next to my wood pile?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joecool85

Minister of Fire
I've attached a couple pics of what I think might be poison ivy next to my wood pile. Luckily I noticed it before I walked right into it. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 457
Not poison Ivy that we have in NJ. We have 3 leaves.

No, but I have a lovely crop growing in my front yard and would be happy to send you some if you are feeling left out. It's the most successful thing I raise here.

Leaves of three, let it be. I can't tell from your picture. Around here, that might be fragrant sumac.

That vine is called Bittersweet Nightshade. It is not poison ivy. It will get purple flowers and red berries later in the summer which are supposed to be poisonous to people but the birds eat them. It is not native and considered a weed, but next to my woodpile, I'll take it over the native Poison Ivy any day.

I agree with woodduck, nightshade.

fv

I regard all strange vines and "vast areas of tree seedlings" with caution. In my area poison ivy leaves have the classic "mitten" shape. I think there's some stuff growing down in the swamp that has never been seen by civilized man (same goes for snakes).

Ed

A few years ago someone posted a salt spray for PI on this list. It works Great for killing the beast. Takes a week or two but is great. I hope the poster reads this and will post the formula again

Nope, not poison ivy. (From one who used to be hyper-sensitive to it, and recognize it at 40 yds.)

As others have said: "leaves of three" is major clue.

Also, reddish cast to stems, and at various times of the year, on leaf perimeter.

And, waxy shine on leaves.

After some years, vines on ground and climbing trees grow a "beard" of fine rootlets.

Thanks for the help guys. Make me second guess if what I thought was poison ivy "out back" really was. I should know too because growing up we had a lot of it around my folks house (this I know was poison ivy because we got the rash etc).

Thanks again!

The salt spray is as follows, I found this on searching for home remidies for killing PI. Sodium is one of the main ingredients in Round up and PI killers, so, if memory serves me correct::

1 gallon white vinegar
2 cups of salt
4-5 drops of dishwash soap to stick to the leaves

I would mix up 3-4 gallons in a lobster potor turkey fry pot to speed up the salt dilution' add the soap to your spray bottle when ready apply.

There deer like it as well on the vegatation.

KC

Status
Not open for further replies.