Is this Stihl good & right for me?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
Locally there is a Stihl 039 with a case and 7 extra chains(2 like new according to the ad)....$250. Seller states nothing wrong with it and runs great. If all is as stated it seems to me that this is a decent deal?

I plan to be cutting maybe 5 to 6 cords per year....probably up to medium sized tress since I don;t feel I have the experience to cut anything huge at this point. I have used a friends Jonesred 632 Super II and while I like the saw it's too heavy for me.

Is the 039 a good fit for a good price for me? I posted this same question at AS but want to get as many opinions as possible.

Hi -

I'm not that familiar with Stihl as I've been Dolmar-ized since Reagan was president. However I have used Stihl 038s at my Grandma's place. 7 extra chains makes me wonder what type of use it's seen? Stihl parts are also dear. I wonder how old the saw is? Hopefully a Stihl enthusiast can comment.

For that kind of cash you might look up the wright of the 039 vs. the JRed. I am very pleased with the Makita(Dolmar) 6401 I got used (off rental) from Home Depot. You might call the stores in your area. Mine paid for it's self again this week. It's short work to drop and buzz up 20-24" Ash. I've picked up some minor work cutting on the side that's paid for the saw quickly (<3 hours).

Good luck,
Mike

If Its in good shape that price is in the ball park and a good saw.

southbound said:
Great saw and a good price BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bug: It will depend on what shape the saw is in....

yep I would part with 250.00 if its nice...Like I need another saw....

southbound said:
smokinjay said:
southbound said:
Great saw and a good price BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bug: It will depend on what shape the saw is in....

yep I would part with 250.00 if its nice...Like I need another saw....

everyone needs another saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and 250 with an OBO I would pull the trigger on that 039!

I think I'll try to get a look at it tonight. Claims he's only selling due to getting a bigger saw....this ha a 20" bar and will be the biggest I've ever handled. Other than starting it up and cutting something what should I be looking for?

muncybob said:
I think I'll try to get a look at it tonight. Claims he's only selling due to getting a bigger saw....this ha a 20" bar and will be the biggest I've ever handled. Other than starting it up and cutting something what should I be looking for?

compression if you don't have a gauge you can tell by how easy it is to pull start a 65cc saw will pull pretty hard if it has good compression 039/390 should be perfect fit for that job you were talking about on the other thread

I'd buy it for that price. One other thing you need to consider is your availability of a good Stihl shop, should you ever need their assistance. For example, I won't ever own a Dolmar, but that's not because I have some notion of them being crap, it's because I've never seen a Dolmar dealer in my entire life. [I guess now is where I take my foot out of my mouth, because a search of dealers indicates there is one just a few miles away, but it's a rental place??? Dunno how that works.]

at any rate, I'd make sure there is a reputable servicer near you.

There is a Stihl dealer very close by and is something I had to consider until I learn my way around the saw. Thanks for the help!! If I pick it up I promise to post some pics.

Might be a good idea to stop at Stihl Dealer on the way to the deal. See if he's got something on trade that's in this range.

Might be a good idea to see if that model has a chain brake and how used it looks . Ask what type of use from the owner how long owner how many cord per year

Tony H said:
Might be a good idea to see if that model has a chain brake and how used it looks . Ask what type of use from the owner how long owner how many cord per year

its got a chain brake all most the same saw as the ms 390

As Jay says, compression!. Hold the recoil handle & let the saw drop. This is a leakdown test & the saw should drop very slowly. Go to a store that sells new saws if you need to compare. If the saw doesn't bump up against TDC real hard & hold for a little bit I would let it for someone else, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.