Is this stove pipe too dirty?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That doesn't sound right at all. You should be able to turn down the air quite a bit if not all the way after 10-20 minutes. I am wondering if the house air plate was removed and if it is starving for combustion air. Are you seeing good secondary burn? Which model stove is this?
I removed the plate before installing the insert. Now that you mention it, I haven't seen the secondary burn since it became difficult to burn. I remember one morning I went to light a fire and the air control lever was stuck. I had to put a good deal of pressure on it to get it to break free. Not sure if something got down the intake tube to the mechanism that closes off the air.

The moisture level you are reading is consistent with what we see for doug fir. Why was it being supplemented with the solid fuel logs? What model PE insert is this and what year was it bought?

The moisture level you are reading is consistent with what we see for doug fir. Why was it being supplemented with the solid fuel logs? What model PE insert is this and what year was it bought?
I have been using the fuel logs to keep the stove hot over night and while at work just to take less time to heat the stove. I guess I really don't have to. It is a 2006 PE Series D according to the manual. It was given to me this summer.

I have been using the fuel logs to keep the stove hot over night and while at work just to take less time to heat the stove. I guess I really don't have to. It is a 2006 PE Series D according to the manual. It was given to me this summer.
I replaced the door gasket and the firebrick set, but that is about all I did to it. The baffle is not cracked and is within spec according to the manual for warping.

I still don't know what model this is, but in 2006 I think the options would have been a Pacific Super or Summit?

The baffle gasket may be a little part of the issue, but it doesn't explain this poor performance. A clogged secondary supply tube is a remote possibility if the flue was very dirty and the baffle was removed during the cleaning without blocking the secondary tube. Is the baffle sitting level and solidly on the rear ledge so that the retaining pin can be inserted?

I still don't know what model this is, but in 2006 I think the options would have been a Pacific Super or Summit?

The baffle gasket may be a little part of the issue, but it doesn't explain this poor performance. A clogged secondary supply tube is a remote possibility if the flue was very dirty and the baffle was removed during the cleaning without blocking the secondary tube. Is the baffle sitting level and solidly on the rear ledge so that the retaining pin can be inserted?
The baffle is sitting securely on the rails and over the tube and the pin is inserted. I believe it is the Super based on the pictures of replacement baffles I see online where the hole is off-center on the baffle, compared to the summit where I believe it is centered.

The Pacific is the series D. It was renamed the Super when it updated to the series E. It's a great insert. Member Dix has one. It would be worth checking the secondary supply tube that inserts into the baffle. If it is plugged with debris it will take digging it out to clear it. Not usr what will work best. Maybe use an L shaped tool to remove the big stuff and then tape a smaller hose that will fit in the tube to a shop vacuum nozzle and try to clean it out.

The Pacific is the series D. It was renamed the Super when it updated to the series E. It's a great insert. Member Dix has one. It would be worth checking the secondary supply tube that inserts into the baffle. If it is plugged with debris it will take digging it out to clear it. Not usr what will work best. Maybe use an L shaped tool to remove the big stuff and then tape a smaller hose that will fit in the tube to a shop vacuum nozzle and try to clean it out.
So the tube is not the only place the stove gets air? I will definitely try the shop vac as well as removing and cleaning the baffle and also sweeping the pipe.

It's not the only source of air. The rear tube is the supply for secondary air to the baffle. Primary air is separately supplied to the door airwash.

When sweeping, always stick a rag into the secondary tube to stop debris from falling into it.

It's not the only source of air. The rear tube is the supply for secondary air to the baffle. Primary air is separately supplied to the door airwash.

When sweeping, always stick a rag into the secondary tube to stop debris from falling into it.
Awesome. Thanks for the help

Dont burn it hotter UNTIL you have that cleaned out. Looks to me that the buildup is greater at the end. Hopefully it isnt like that the entire length.

Is this stove pipe too dirty?

Reactions: firebox115
I bought a 6" poly brush with rods and cleaned out the pipe after blocking off the secondary air tune from below. There was maybe 2 cups of debris/soot that piled up in the stove from cleaning the pipe. Here is a picture of the cap, which was brand new when I first started burning. I'm going to clean off the baffle and vacuum out the air tube before firing it up again.

Attachments

• Is this stove pipe too dirty?
    20191208_140704.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 123