Is this stove pipe too dirty?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

firebox115

Sep 5, 2019
USA
I installed this new 6" SS 15' liner to my insert about two months ago and have burned about a cord through it. Most of the wood was about 18%-20% on the moisture meter and all was Fir and maybe 30 or so presto logs. Most of the fires were less than 4 hours. PE insert, insulated blockoff plate. This is my first wood stove so I have no idea what is normal.
20191201_132250.jpg

I'm no chimney sweep, but more than 1/4" of buildup makes me pull out the cleaning brush and do a cleaning. If the buildup is dry and crumbly, it cleans quickly and easily and not bad. The buildup in your pics seems like a lot for 2 months of use. Can you find drier wood? Or some hardwood? If not, then inspect every month and clean if more than 1/4" thick. If you get more resinous or tar-like creosote buildup that doesn't clean easy, then you've got a more challenging problem. Google "level 3 creosote" and/or call a pro chimney sweeper

Reactions: firebox115
I installed this new 6" SS 15' liner to my insert about two months ago and have burned about a cord through it. Most of the wood was about 18%-20% on the moisture meter and all was Fir and maybe 30 or so presto logs. Most of the fires were less than 4 hours. PE insert, insulated blockoff plate. This is my first wood stove so I have no idea what is normal.
View attachment 252546
Yes that is way to much buildup.

Reactions: Sawset and Diabel
Hard to tell from the picture. is it that way throughout or just the last 12-18"?

View attachment 252546
you need to change your burning habits!

Too dirty! Good on you for checking! Clean it out and you'll have a much better performing stove!

Cold starts are dirty. Once the system is warm its less prone to smoke condensing so yeah, longer burns. More air and wondering what your cap looked like.

Cold starts are dirty. Once the system is warm its less prone to smoke condensing so yeah, longer burns. More air and wondering what your cap looked like.

The cap is pretty much identical to this:

Attachments

• cap.gif
    cap.gif
    39.1 KB · Views: 147
18-20% is dry imo unless you measured moisture before splitting a fresh piece at room temp. Did you do that? If not that wood is much wetter than u think.

Reactions: blacktail
How did it look? If it was clogging up things can go south real fast. Keep your eye on it, it's your canary in the coal mine.

How did it look? If it was clogging up things can go south real fast. Keep your eye on it, it's your canary in the coal mine.
The metal grate wasn't really clogged to the point where less air was getting through, but it definitely looks like it could use a cleaning.

It needs cleaned without question.
If I go buy a 6 inch brush and the extensions from the hardware store is this a job I can do just as well? There is just a little bend in the pipe around the smoke shelf and the baffle that needs to come out to access the stove pipe from inside the stove.

Burn it harder. AKA hotter. That’s ugly.

I wouldn't feel comfortable continuing that way if that's what I was seeing. I get some buildup on the upper foot or so by the cap, and maybe a little at the ceiling thimble. Both are at cooler spots or leaks where outside air can have an effect. But it's only a small amount. Sometimes if it's very cold out (below zero for many days) the cap screen can clog. Some people just remove the screen for that reason. What you have looks like too cool flue temps and way too much buildup. When you brush it, should be able to sense the extent of it.

Yes, you should be able to sweep that out. Do a search for the sooteater.

Reactions: jatoxico
If I go buy a 6 inch brush and the extensions from the hardware store is this a job I can do just as well? There is just a little bend in the pipe around the smoke shelf and the baffle that needs to come out to access the stove pipe from inside the stove.
Possibly I don't know you abilities. What type of liner is it?

I installed everything including building the block-off plate. It is a Duravent 304 stainless flex liner 15'.
In that case probably. Is the liner insulated?

That's a fair amount of buildup for one cord of wood. It's good you checked the flue. How did you test for the moisture content of the wood?

That's a fair amount of buildup for one cord of wood. It's good you checked the flue. How did you test for the moisture content of the wood?
With a pin-style meter. I took about six random pieces and split them and then checked them. Most were 18-20, but the actual range was more like 16-22. The first third of the wood I burned since installing the stove was from a different source and noticeably drier (not the measured wood). It has been a lot harder to burn/less btu's with this new cord. I think I have been closing down the air control lever too soon. After about 45 minutes I usually turn it down to half way in an attempt to save wood. I'm thinking I will just leave it open for almost all of the burn.

That doesn't sound right at all. You should be able to turn down the air quite a bit if not all the way after 10-20 minutes. I am wondering if the house air plate was removed and if it is starving for combustion air. Are you seeing good secondary burn? Which model stove is this?

PS: Looks like you are in WA state. It really helps to have this info in your avatar info. USA is too broad.

Reactions: blacktail