It sounded like Thunder!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Relaxing last evening around 10pm or so and then all of a sudden a HUGE rumble rippled through my home. Got up and asked my oldest if he heard it. He said "sounded like thunder". Went outside to look around and OH NO! The wood I stack on the side of the house fell over. I had two 13.5'x6' rows stacks together. Roughly 5 face cords. What in the world happened??? Well, that will keep me out of trouble for a while :).

Relaxing last evening around 10pm or so and then all of a sudden a HUGE rumble rippled through my home. Got up and asked my oldest if he heard it. He said "sounded like thunder". Went outside to look around and OH NO! The wood I stack on the side of the house fell over. I had two 13.5'x6' rows stacks together. Roughly 5 face cords. What in the world happened??? Well, that will keep me out of trouble for a while :).

Repeal the law of gravity!

How long has the pile been stacked for? Which way does it face? I'm wondering if it dried more on the side facing the sun (or prevalent wind) and toppled toward the drier side.

It happens to all of us...It happened to me a few weeks ago at night, went out to see what happened didn't see anything. The next morning I saw the destruction...20 min of restacking and it'll happen again I'm sure....It's from the drying...

I hate when that happens.
I've taken to tuning up the stacks once in a while with a tamper, especially the ones I stacked with only my headlamp for light. :)

My Spruce pile collapsed while the Wife and I were about 50ft away. Sounded more like bamboo being knocked together.

I too have heard that Thunder! :(
Re-stacking is demoralizing. When you need to pile high its the risk you take.

Yeah that sucks! Chances are the wood has dried out since you stacked it, and sometimes that makes the stack loose and unstable. You found out what happens next! ;)

"Stacking practice"
We've all done it ;)
I always blame earthquakes, couldn't be my stacking techniques & we have several earthquakes a year. :)

How long has the pile been stacked for? Which way does it face? I'm wondering if it dried more on the side facing the sun (or prevalent wind) and toppled toward the drier side.
Those stacks are against my brick house on the north side. The stacks touching the house has been there a year and the front stack about 2 months. Looks like the inner stack collasped in the middle and just pushed everything out. Oh well, if this is my only challenge in life, I'm doing good. Gives me a chance to split some rounds I was too lazy to do earlier. :)

Been there done that, but I always blame it on the squirrels. They maybe cute but the way they climb on the wood their a good scapegoat for my stacking deficiencies.

(Click for soundtrack... lol)

'round these parts it's pretty common for 'dem aliens to come by and steal a chunk 'o wood from my stacks. Dey always take one from da middle too and scatter the rest all over tarnation and such. Thievin' varmints. :mad:

Yeah, I live in a town known to be the UFO sighting capitol of the East. ==c

http://www.pinebushufo.com/index.html

I must be doing something wrong . . . or I just haven't had my ticket come up yet . . . I have yet to have a stack come down . . . although a few years back one stack was leaning pretty heavily before I adjusted it.

Relaxing last evening around 10pm or so and then all of a sudden a HUGE rumble rippled through my home. Got up and asked my oldest if he heard it. He said "sounded like thunder". Went outside to look around and OH NO!.

Perhaps you should decline that extra serving of chili.

Reactions: Realstone
I worry because my cat loves to hunt and actually sleep on and around my piles_g . I mainly use wood racks, but I have had them fall over also!;em

Did you hear that Firebroad.........his cat sleeps next to his piles;lol
As bad as having it laying on his wood...:oops:

Hey, you can make fun of me, but Dusty is off limits buster! Moderators: "citizens's arrest, citizen's arrest!;lol

Oops, sorry, Dusty. Nice Kitty.

This chipmunk was teasing dusty....BIG MISTAKE!

0609121410.jpeg

"Hey, can I bring this in the house."

"Stacking practice"
We've all done it ;)
I always blame earthquakes, couldn't be my stacking techniques & we have several earthquakes a year. :)

+1

This chipmunk was teasing dusty....BIG MISTAKE!

View attachment 68699

"Hey, can I bring this in the house."

My cat and dog have each cought one this year. It's funny, the dog will look out the window and when she sees one she goes nuts. I open the door for her and she makes a beeline right straigt for it. To excited to sneek up on it.
After about a year she finnaly got one. The cats are much more sneaky, but they have only cought one also so....
I Know I have a couple more and they really like wood stacks.

Those stacks are against my brick house on the north side. The stacks touching the house has been there a year and the front stack about 2 months. Looks like the inner stack collasped in the middle and just pushed everything out. Oh well, if this is my only challenge in life, I'm doing good. Gives me a chance to split some rounds I was too lazy to do earlier. :)

Oh, that explains it. The kids were raising hell inside the house and all the rumbling and vibrations caused the stack to fall over. Tell those munchkins to get outside and re-stack your wood. Pull up a lawn chain and crack a suds and supervise the operation ....LOL

Oh, that explains it. The kids were raising hell inside the house and all the rumbling and vibrations caused the stack to fall over. Tell those munchkins to get outside and re-stack your wood. Pull up a lawn chain and crack a suds and supervise the operation ....LOL
Those munchkins are 24,22 &21. LOL

I've had a couple of my pallet U's explode.. but it was always WHEN I was monkeying with them on the tractor. I've learned to stick to flat ground when trying to place them. It was easier to get a couple loads of gravel to put em on than it was to build cribbing to stack em on at the edge of the woods.

I'm curious to see how much the wood shrinks. I stack em right up to the level of the braces I put across the top. just under a third of a cord per U

Status
Not open for further replies.