Its that time again.... Polar Vortex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mellow

Resident Stove Connoisseur
Jan 19, 2008
Salisbury, MD
650x366_11051558_hd31.jpg

650x366_11051715_hd37.jpg

Looks like I should just be on the edge of it, which is a good thing, I am enjoying running the heat pump :)

i'd always remembered it simpoly called a "dip in the jet stream" i can recall seing this type of pattern on weather forcasts for years but until just recently i had never heard it called a "polar vortex" methinks that name is akin to "woooh its scary" to sensationalize the effect

I think it is here now. Cold wind steady at 10 and gusting to 35.

i'd always remembered it simpoly called a "dip in the jet stream" i can recall seing this type of pattern on weather forcasts for years but until just recently i had never heard it called a "polar vortex" methinks that name is akin to "woooh its scary" to sensationalize the effect

what ever sells ratings. I'm expecting them to call the next hurricane "Swirling Dragon Water Monster" Just for folks to tune in

Reactions: firefighterjake
Polar vortex was described in 1853 and showed up here in 1952.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
It's almost like....winter....or something.

Reactions: firefighterjake
I love it, everyone else gets scared and worried they will be cold, I know that if need be I can fire up the insert early and have the house a nice cozy 75 degrees.

I would get on a horse and ride through town shouting "the polar vortex is coming" just for kicks, but I don't have a horse :(

Well, you're not getting one of mine for an endeavor like that :)

I'm in by Wednesday.

Glad we're cleaning the chimneys Sunday. And processing a decent collection of 1 - 2 year old "too bigs".

*Note to self* Load back deck with fire wood, pronto !

Reactions: BrotherBart
Sorry for those that have to knuckle down and cope with this cold. Still, a month or so ago weren't there a lot of chants to "bring it on" and winter welcomings? Can't please all the people all the time.

Lows up here will be in the single digits soon after the snow rolls in. I knew these balmy days in the 30's would be gone soon. So long fall and hello arctic air!

just got to make it thru gun deer season and we can stick the fork in it, call it a year and go into hibernation.

Sorry to hear that! I was outside all day today in a flannel shirt with a tee shirt underneath. Was fine most of the day. Started and ended the day with a 1920's vintage wool boy scout shirt jacket over that.

Our low tonight is only in the mid-30's, and our coldest nights so far only hit 28F. Winter usually waits 'till mid-December, for us.

Last edited:
We have a few more days in the 40's predicted. It sure feels a lot different at noon than 5:00 PM lately. I just got my chimney in yesterday. Just in the nick of time!

Yuck! - not looking forward to this winter but I did get our snowblower out yesterday and test it out. We are forecast for snow early next week.

I repeat: Yuck!

Last edited:
Ha ha. Yuck indeed Shari. The worse part is that it caught lots of people off guard. The first 2-3 inches were pure slush, VERY heavy to move. Fluffy stuff on top. I spent 3 hours clearing snow (normally it takes me 1-1.5).

"........ pure slush, VERY heavy to move..

We have a riding mower with a snowblower attachment on it. The blower was something I bought after hubby got sick. He had been using a plow on the rider but I didn't seem to have much luck with the plow so a year later I bought a used blower attachment for the rider. I LOVE the blower but that first winter apparently son & I didn't quite get the belts installed correctly because I kept burning out the belt. Thinking I'd bought a lemon blower I learned that I could just use the blower as a very large/heavy plow and it actually worked better than the plow I had been using.

Anyhow, a couple years down the line we finally got the blower fixed/attached correctly (and it works fantastic!) but if/when we get those really wet/heavy snowfalls I just use the blower like a plow - shove everything off the driveway and after it's in a pile I will pull up to it and blow it as far as it will go and then call it done. :)

I've conquered winter - but that doesn't mean I like it. :)

Sorry to hear that! I was outside all day today in a flannel shirt with a tee shirt underneath. Was fine most of the day. Started and ended the day with a 1920's vintage wool boy scout shirt jacket over that.

Our low tonight is only in the mid-30's, and our coldest nights so far only hit 28F. Winter usually waits 'till mid-December, for us.
I think this cold coming down will effect many. I just put my snow tires on The car for the season in snow that I didn't know we were supposed to get last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.