Its that time again.... Polar Vortex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This crap about Polar Vortex, Polar Express 2014 and naming winter storms is just media gimickry. The early polar push is from the typhoon that made its way up to the arctic. Weather channel people get excited about stuff like this. We just bundle up and put another log on the fire.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
This crap about Polar Vortex, Polar Express 2014 and naming winter storms is just media gimickry. The early polar push is from the typhoon that made its way up to the arctic. Weather channel people get excited about stuff like this. We just bundle up and put another log on the fire.

Agreed. I can't even stomach to watch the weather channel anymore. They hype up small things and seem to get off a little to much on actual dangerous storms.

This looked like the year I was going to make it to Thanksgiving for the first time. Looking at the forecast I am only gonna make it to tomorrow night without firing off. Closest I have ever made it though.

72 outside and headed for lows in the twenties and windy with flurries by Thursday. Dang it.

To our local weather guys' credit they are saying this isn't a Polar Vortex.

It would be nice if it dumped elsewhere for once.

It's not fun shovelling off a cenotaph so that people can partake in Remembrance Day ceremonies. Ack.

Andrew
My wife and I and two kids just came back from the ceremony here. The weather was nice. It was -14 c and no wind. We only have about 3 inches of snow so that part wasn't bad. I was worried that we would have north winds blowing 40 kms but it wasn't the case this year. I always feel for the older folks that are out there in the cold. I tell the kids if they can do it so can you! but really they don't fuss about it, they know the importance of showing our respect. Sitting in front of the stove right now but Im getting antsy to take the dog for a wintry walk in the bush. Staying below freezing all week with lows to -20 c and highs of -10 c. for today and tomorrow.

Reactions: Swedishchef
My wife and I and two kids just came back from the ceremony here. The weather was nice. It was -14 c and no wind. We only have about 3 inches of snow so that part wasn't bad. I was worried that we would have north winds blowing 40 kms but it wasn't the case this year. I always feel for the older folks that are out there in the cold. I tell the kids if they can do it so can you! but really they don't fuss about it, they know the importance of showing our respect. Sitting in front of the stove right now but Im getting antsy to take the dog for a wintry walk in the bush. Staying below freezing all week with lows to -20 c and highs of -10 c. for today and tomorrow.

Nice and warm in the Rockies eh? I think it is supposed to warm up next week.

It was nice of you to take your kids to the ceremony. Ours started early as all the veterans had already arrived. Due to the early start I was late (I was part of the ceremony). It was a cool -4C with light snow. Loved it.

Andrew

Reactions: Seanm
This storm was a tough one being the snow is deep and heavy with moisture. It didn't help that I didn't get the chains on the ATV too. And it's nice if you can get a smaller introduction of snow so I can pack it down on the gravel and then use the snow blower just to blow snow instead of a mixture of snow and auger jamming gravel! The driveway is a long one at 800' and can be a pain to maintain... Good thing for many chains and winches though, they can sure help and were used a few times in the last two days freeing me from being stuck.... Again!

Well, winter has officially arrived. Here's the proof. I had to make a path to get to my woodshed/greenhouse!

Good luck with winter!

View attachment 143702 View attachment 143703
Andrew
Hi Andrew,

Looks like you guys got dumped on! We spent a week ago Saturday crossing the Gulf of St. Laurence....last ferry for three days. Boy, talk about rocking and rolling on the North Atlantic. Lots of rain in southern New Brunswick on the Sunday but thankfully no snow. Mid-coast Maine had some heavy wet snow. Fellow hotel guests in Camden, Maine were mostly locals who had been without power for several days. Arrived back in Michigan this past Monday to 60 degree weather. Today, it's in the 30's! Go figure?

Chip

Hey Chip!

Glad to hear that you made it back safe and sound. Another year done already eh?

The weather is wacko these days. If weather was a human, I'd vote that it was emotionally disturbed. From one extreme to the next.

Andrew

Not what Bend Oregon should look like on the Ides of November :confused:

ides.JPG

Geez, fossil. When did you move to Colorado?

I have 4 above F now so that's getting to where I'll have two or three fires a day. I see my original thread was merged into this one. I never use the term polar vortex. I think it's just over used for a cold front now. They used to say we were in for a Alberta Clipper once.

WTF. W-T-F. I'm going to have to move.

Do you have a sled up there? i remember when I got my new XCSP 700 I had heard so much about the great snow conditions in Kabeck!
Unfortunately I don't have a sled. Too expensive for my blood. Nothing new under $10000, good sleds are $15000. I am not mechanic-savy enough to fix my own machines so a used one scares me! BUT, a friend of mine left me his 2010 BRP Renegade e-tech 600 for 2 winters. What a blast I had!!!

Andrew

Reactions: WiscWoody
Unfortunately I don't have a sled. Too expensive for my blood. Nothing new under $10000, good sleds are $15000. I am not mechanic-savy enough to fix my own machines so a used one scares me! BUT, a friend of mine left me his 2010 BRP Renegade e-tech 600 for 2 winters. What a blast I had!!!

Andrew
I had to look that sled up to see what it is and I bet it was fun!

Still cold here in northern Wisconsin, it looks like 13 will be the high for the day. I'm thinking maybe I'll check the lake ice today to see if I can run the dogs on the lake. I need 5" but I'd like to see 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.