Jøtul 602 in old masonry chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Askeena

Nov 13, 2019
New Orleans
Hi! First time posting to this forum. I have a Jøtul 602 that fits nicely into the firebox of my existing and very old masonry chimney. Can I run a stainless steel flexi liner all the way from the top vent of the wood
Stove to the top of the chimney using one of those flexi liner kits? If so is double wall recommended and insulated? My big concern is that the masonry is super old and has no existing flue. Here are a few pics! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• EA45C93F-9C8B-4427-A78D-8288E5EDD2AB.jpeg
    EA45C93F-9C8B-4427-A78D-8288E5EDD2AB.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 195
  • E44D40C0-4DC8-46DF-B5F7-F68B6281F8B9.jpeg
    E44D40C0-4DC8-46DF-B5F7-F68B6281F8B9.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 187
Yes you need an insulated liner in that chimney. And a plate at the bottom blocking off the area around that liner

26 ga is fine for the blockoff plate. Stuff roxul insulation around the liner before putting in the blockoff plate.

FYI, Its great small stove but putting it in closed space is really going to cut down on its effective heat output. That stove puts out a lot of heat by radiation, think of it as a light bulb and where everywhere the light lands, the heat lands. By installing it in the fireplace most of the heat radiated hits the brick. It eventually heats up the brick and then that radiates out unto the room but its takes a long time (hours if not days. The 602 is not an all night heater and if people try to do so by banking them up and then slamming the air shut, they are very good creosote producers. They were intended to be fired off in the morning to warm up the house and then fed continuously during the day if needed letting it go out at night. A lot more effective install would be to cut a new thimble in and put a standard stove in front of the fireplace. If you like Jotuls, if you look around you can probably find the 602s big brother, the 606.

Great thanks i appreciate everybody’s input! Dang good to know about the radiant nature of the little guy maybe not being very efficient in the existing masonry. Do you all think the block plate with the roxul will help to keep the heat in the room? It fits nicely in the firebox but if it takes super long to heat the room maybe I should abandon the thought! Any more opinions? I live in New Orleans so it gets cold in the winter but not super cold! Thanks everyone

It'll work fine.

I didnt notice the OPs location. Its should work fine for Louisiana. Definitely install a insulated block off plate.