Jøtul C550 Rockland Insert mantel clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mmondo

Aug 28, 2019
D5C1ECDE-531D-464E-B76B-E7D9CD5C493D.jpeg 89B08AA7-3B25-40A6-9147-91012780706B.jpeg
Hi all, first time poster here. Thanks in advance for any advice. I finally replaced an old Gold Marc wood insert and am upgrading to the Jøtul c550.
Now that I have viewing glass, I’d like to make that wall more of a focal point of the room. I’d like to install a mantel and move my television onto the brick.

My question is concerning the clearance needed, type of mantel you’d recommend (wood or possible stone?) and whether m or not it’s safe to put the mantel and TV on the brick above the insert. I tried to attach some pictures, I hope I did it correctly.
I'm concerned with how close the mantel will be, but if I’m reading Jøtul correctly, I should be able to use a 5.5”(depth) mantel with their heat shield.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? Thanks again,
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Just my non-pro opinion. Even if you went with non- combustible mantel, at that height ( in your pic) items you have on the mantel are really close to the stove. You may find that having a mantle at that low of height may look odd too.

Sit in a chair and look close at your neck angle watching a TV that high on the wall. Then think about speakers for a HT application. The center needs to be as close to the TV as possible BUT more important they should be placed at the listeners ear elevation.

Because the blower moves the heat out into the room the TV probably will not be effected by the heat but I have a 3" thick blue stone mantle above my insert and it does warm up a bit but I never looked at the temps above the mantle.

Sit in a chair and look close at your neck angle watching a TV that high on the wall. Then think about speakers for a HT application. The center needs to be as close to the TV as possible BUT more important they should be placed at the listeners ear elevation.

Because the blower moves the heat out into the room the TV probably will not be effected by the heat but I have a 3" thick blue stone mantle above my insert and it does warm up a bit but I never looked at the temps above the mantle.

Thank you both for the replies. Definitely considered head/neck angle, luckily it is a fairly spacious living room so the couches are far enough back where it is actually pretty comfortable viewing. I suppose my main concern is space between top of insert surround and the mantle.

You will be ok with a 5.5" mantel using the heat shield as long as it meets or exceeds the manual's minimum requirement.

Reactions: RGrant
View attachment 246954 View attachment 246953
Hi all, first time poster here. Thanks in advance for any advice. I finally replaced an old Gold Marc wood insert and am upgrading to the Jøtul c550.
Now that I have viewing glass, I’d like to make that wall more of a focal point of the room. I’d like to install a mantel and move my television onto the brick.

My question is concerning the clearance needed, type of mantel you’d recommend (wood or possible stone?) and whether m or not it’s safe to put the mantel and TV on the brick above the insert. I tried to attach some pictures, I hope I did it correctly.
I'm concerned with how close the mantel will be, but if I’m reading Jøtul correctly, I should be able to use a 5.5”(depth) mantel with their heat shield.

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this? Thanks again,
Mike

When you have an insert you have the problems of pulling it out each year for the chimney cleaning and then realigning it. In addition, you have the heat being transferred from the sides into the chimney's firebox. As almost all of the users on this board have mentioned, the more stove you have in the room the better the heat transfer. I have a Jotul 500 rear vented into a stainless steel chimney with a L shaped clean out at the rear; and it heats far better then the insert which was in there. Unless you are dead set on an insert, I would consider a Jotul 500 or 600 rear vented for this room or perhaps an even larger Ideal Steel if the lintel is tall enough; and then adjust the mantel height if needed.

When you have an insert you have the problems of pulling it out each year for the chimney cleaning and then realigning it. In addition, you have the heat being transferred from the sides into the chimney's firebox. As almost all of the users on this board have mentioned, the more stove you have in the room the better the heat transfer. I have a Jotul 500 rear vented into a stainless steel chimney with a L shaped clean out at the rear; and it heats far better then the insert which was in there. Unless you are dead set on an insert, I would consider a Jotul 500 or 600 rear vented for this room or perhaps an even larger Ideal Steel if the lintel is tall enough; and then adjust the mantel height if needed.
Provided that you have the liner running from the insert all the way up and exiting at top of chimney, the Jotul Rockland does not get pulled out to have liner swept. All that is required is to pull the internal cast iron baffles and secondary burn tubes and then soot can then be swept directly into firebox. It’s an easy process aside from fact that the baffles are fairly heavy. It takes a bit of practice especially with putting these items back in stove once sweeping is done.

Last edited:
Putting a stove on the hearth would put more heat into the room but it would also make the mantel clearance a tougher problem.