Jags homebuilt splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work; what kind of wood is that it really split that stuff up, should dry quick never saw wood split like that.

Good job nice pictures

Jags said:
WoodpileOCD said:
How bout some links to the older ones.

They would be some of the same pics posted above. Here is a couple more:

I could tell that was elm, even from the web shots. Great post jags. The one skill I regret I never picked up is welding. Sure is a handy thing. Nice job!

Old farm boy, nice job.

Zap

Nice work Jags! Nothing like a bit of good ole American ingenuity:). Most folks can't even change a tire these days much less build bada$$ log splitter!

So how much power does this thing produce in tons?

Jags,

Do you have a picture of your splitter from the log lift side with the lift lowered (no wood on it)? I would like to see the layout of how those pillow blocks are attached a little better.

Jutt77 said:
Nice work Jags! Nothing like a bit of good ole American ingenuity:). Most folks can't even change a tire these days much less build bada$$ log splitter!

If comparing to a purchased splitters specs - it would be ~34 tons, but if you do the real math - it is somewhere south of that (and so are the factory jobs).

Shari said:
Jags,

Do you have a picture of your splitter from the log lift side with the lift lowered (no wood on it)? I would like to see the layout of how those pillow blocks are attached a little better.

Shari - this is probably the best pic I have of the pivot set up.

Attachments

• 100_1544sm.jpg
    100_1544sm.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 339
Jags, anything you would change with the lift? I have an AC winch laying around and already have electricity at the splitter. Seems like a no brainer for me.

SolarAndWood said:
Jags, anything you would change with the lift? I have an AC winch laying around and already have electricity at the splitter. Seems like a no brainer for me.

To be honest Solar - I got so dang lucky with the design and build of the lift that I wouldn't change a thing.

Jags said:
But I have the 12v power supply for a mini fridge - how cool is that??

Are there plans to install a patio umbrella holder? :)

That's a joke folks, as another member has said item on their splitter - which I happen to think is a great(!) idea. We have a portable canopy that we set up over our splitting area. We also set up a box fan blowing on us in hot weather, etc.

Heck - If ya get the 'frig' and umbrella mabe you can get the Cat in The Hat to come run it!

Very nice.

Thats a hell of a splitter, did you ever think of makiing the wedge move onto a stationary plate that way your not chasing the round off the end of the splitter mine works the way yours does and I often thought it would work better. The splitter was free just had to repair the valve so I can't groan to much. love the log lifter I have to pick the round up I uasally have to break them into smaller pieces with one of those hand cranked splitters to lift them

roxys dad said:
Thats a hell of a splitter, did you ever think of makiing the wedge move onto a stationary plate that way your not chasing the round off the end of the splitter

My work table extends past the wedge, so the log on that side falls onto the table. However, there are times that I WANT the splits to go off of the end. I create large piles off of the end of the splitter. Wedge a split behind the tires and the splitter keeps pushing the new splits into the pile. When you need to move, just pull the splits from behind the tires and allow the next couple of logs to be processed to move it backwards. Replace wheel chocks.

The 4th pic in my very first post, shows the work table.

Now I see the table extension great job,

roxys dad said:
Now I see the table extension great job,

Thanks for the kind words (everyone included). This thread was started due to some interest in the build of the splitter and design of the log lift. It is quite a basic design and I just got lucky that everything works better than I expected.

I did think about using the hydraulics for powering a hydraulic motor and wheel on the front stand for moving the splitter around, but decided that was more "toy" than "tool" and I already have a pretty heavy tongue weight. A power tongue jack has also been considered.

Looks great, Jags. Not sure how I've missed them, but this is the first time I've seen pictures of your splitter.

Great pics . . . cool splitter.

Jags said:
Jutt77 said:

If comparing to a purchased splitters specs - it would be ~34 tons, but if you do the real math - it is somewhere south of that (and so are the factory jobs).

That's fantastic. This is probably a dumb question but did you have to use a welder? Thats one tool that I dont have so it kind of prohibits my metal building plans.

Nice job again!

Jags
That awesome splitter on that youtube link in the other thread... How hard would it be to weld a 'table' onto your beam... and then remove the wedge and replace it with a splitting box like that one had in the vid? The top of the splitting box will need to be big enough to hold the remainder of large logds.

It seems like it wouldnt be too hard...pretty much anyone can do it to their splitter

whatcha think?

I like the mini fridge idea too.

What video?

YouTube - zendle38's Channel This is a splitter I put together listed as bill splits under zendle38 it is very much like this one only I have Hydrolic motor wench to lift. It now has a lift much like the one pictured that is lifted by the wench and makes a table. This shows early on, also note detent on valve only for someone who know how to operate not for kids or unexperenced operator but saves much time when working alone. The govenor fixed is a clip of my sawmill and 671 that we took from truck to run it a friend posted these. ZENDLE38 on google will get you to clips if anyone interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.