Jags homebuilt splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jutt - yes a welder was instrumental in building this splitter. As a matter of fact, I had use of a pretty good size mig that a buddy was hiding from his wife at the time. I just used that to tack things together, but the deep cooking came from my very old tomb stone welder (lincoln). No problem with weld penetration with that thing.

Don - I have thought of the box wedge for my beast - it has the tonnage to make it happen, but I split quite a bit of tricky wood. I'm not convinced that the box for my application is the best (at least yet).

Sorry it too so long to respond to the Q's - I wasn't getting email notifications of new posts. Gonna have to take away 10 internets from Craig. :zip:

Jags said:
I have thought of the box wedge for my beast - it has the tonnage to make it happen, but I split quite a bit of tricky wood. I'm not convinced that the box for my application is the best (at least yet).

Mass firewood production seems to come from 12 to 16 inch diameter straight logs. I don't see too many of them. A 6 way slipover seems like a much more practical next step.

SolarAndWood said:
Jags said:
I have thought of the box wedge for my beast - it has the tonnage to make it happen, but I split quite a bit of tricky wood. I'm not convinced that the box for my application is the best (at least yet).

Mass firewood production seems to come from 12 to 16 inch diameter straight logs. I don't see too many of them. A 6 way slipover seems like a much more practical next step.

Yep, and currently the large majority of what I have waiting to be split is big stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.