Jags splitter build - pic heavy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SolarAndWood said:
Yeah, those little 20" rounds don't require a lift. Its those 3 footers that catch up with you.

Yep, we will have the luxury of leaving anything too big. We're at the river, nobody wants to work too hard. :)

Pretty nice little machine there.

Jags said:
. We're at the river, nobody wants to work too hard. :)

Is that the Mississippi River? Where on the River? I spent some time in Norhtern Illinois about 20 years ago. I was in Mt. Carrol but spent some time around the river in Savanah and other places that I can't remember the name of. Did you and I have this conversation already a few years ago?

Flatbedford said:
Did you and I have this conversation already a few years ago?

I can't remember it, so it must not have happened. :lol:
Yep, the mighty Miss. I would be North of the Savanna Army Depot. Just the other side of the lock and dam. It is an amazing body of water. You would not recognize the water now compared to 20 yrs ago. Heck, we even have flocks of white pelicans now. First time in known history that the water was clean enough to support them. (they are a very good indicator of healthy water).

Good news about the river. I did some boating and swimming near Savanah back then. My Hudson is getting much cleaner now too! We have Eagles nesting all the way down by me now. Only 35 miles from NYC.

Sorry to derail your splitter thread.

Flatbedford said:
Sorry to derail your splitter thread.

Baaa...ain't no thing. Baldys are a daily occurrence at the cabin. We have several nests that we watch the young 'uns grow up in.

To bring it back on track--the home built pump mount:

Attachments

• pumpmount.jpg
    pumpmount.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 881
Jags...you are too cool!

neumsky said:
Jags...you are too cool!

In a geeky sort of way. :coolsmile:

Thanks for the kind words.

Fantastic work man! Hydraulics are beyond my current expertise, maybe someday. We'll see how my cart turns out first lol!

OhioBurner© said:
Fantastic work man! Hydraulics are beyond my current expertise, maybe someday. We'll see how my cart turns out first lol!

Thanks - I am sure that you will get that cart up and working for you.

Geat build and great thread. I am glad you added the thread link in you signature block. I am pretty good at "finding things" and I know a couple of guys with welders.
You given me an idea...

Good for you. Maybe an idea or two can come from this that will help you with your build. I have built a total of 3. Each a little different design. This is a great place to get answers to your questions.

Good for you. Maybe an idea or two can come from this that will help you with your build. I have built a total of 3. Each a little different design. This is a great place to get answers to your questions.
OK, I know about 2 of them, what's the third? The Beast, The jackrabbit, and ?

The third one has been gone a long time. It was built off of a pipe sliding over pipe design. Easy to build, but I would only recommend using that design for small tonnage machines. Its amazing how much 20 tons will bend schedule 40 pipe. I don't even have any pics of it. That was before camera phones and heartnet.net (the predecessor of this place).

I remember this thread from last year, and how much I enjoyed watching it come together. Have you been using it much? Glad to see you put it in your sig.....

It has split a few piles so far. We only use it for camp fire wood (so far), so it won't be a high volume machine.

Reactions: MasterMech
Nice work Jags.

Reactions: Jags
haha and I thought I was the only one silly enough to use a 14.5 vertical briggs ic quiet for a log splitter. just finished mine a couple weeks ago. and split 20 cord with it over the weekend. if yours is anything like mine you will never need to go over just off idle.

This post is so - like - 2013.;)

Yeah - it has been a good motor. It pulls the 16 gpm pump with ease and at just over idle will bypass the pressure relief valve without pulling the motor down. Your splitter may deserve its own thread. Post it up with some pics. This is the slow part of the year for this site and there are several junkies looking for a fix.;lol

Reactions: bad news
No harm done. A couple years back it seemed like we were having several splitter builds in the works. I simply posted that link so that it might help somebody with their build.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Great build Jags! I appreciate you sharing this with the group, although I realize I'm a couple years down the line. But I've enjoyed the tour of the build, and it is surely helping me with my project. Cheers!

and it is surely helping me with my project.
That was part of the point. Not to really be a blue print but just to get the ideas flowing.
Since I had last posted on this build I have replaced the control valve out of want (wanted the return detent). I am also heavily considering swapping out the 3.5" cylinder with a 4" as I have stopped this splitter on a fair number of occasions. But all of this is out of want, not need. Glad it is helping you out.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Not a bad idea. I could put a cigarette lighter plug in on it pretty easy.

The wood that this thing is gonna split will more than likely stay on site (cabin), but that doesn't mean that we won't be using it after dark. ;-P

th?&id=OIP.Mabcd604f561a7b52680556e90ded5345o0&w=198&h=198&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg(- notice this 12volt plug
Just the thing for that Beer!

Reactions: Lone_Gun and Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.