January Thaw On The Way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Finally it looks like El nino will kick in and moderate the temps. Suppose to hit the 30's for highs for the next week or so. Good time to get up on the roof and run a brush down, clean and inspect the stove and save some firewood. I've been burning pretty hot lately, now I can go back to those 2 per day feedings.

Yeah we have some day time forty degree temps coming starting Thursday. I was wondering if you had done the mid-season cleaning or not. I may or may not do one this year. Probably will.

If that tee falls apart when you do the cleaning, the warranty ended last Tuesday. :lol:

Prolly don't need to sweep but I want to try out that new tee. Why didn't I get a warranty extension notice? :lol:

I'm glad it's warming up. My stove loses the battle when we dip into the teens and single digits at night. I just dread the mess I know the ground is going to be once it thaws.

I agree about the mess it will create, but the warm air will feel good for a change. Will be a nice time to be out cutting wood too. Accuweather seems to think the warm spell might last almost 2 weeks. They also are predicting some freezing drizzle. Yuck. I'll take snow any day over ice.

BrotherBart said:
Yeah we have some day time forty degree temps coming starting Thursday. I was wondering if you had done the mid-season cleaning or not. I may or may not do one this year. Probably will.

If that tee falls apart when you do the cleaning, the warranty ended last Tuesday. :lol:

what does a mid season cleaning entail?
(this is my first year burning)

par0thead151 said:
what does a mid season cleaning entail?
(this is my first year burning)

Good question as I will be attempting my own chimney cleanings going forward. Any threads I should be pointed to?

I just pull the baffle boards, head for the roof and run a chimney brush down the liner. Same thing I do at the end of the season. Or the beginning if I didn't get to it the Spring before.

I spent a lot of time yesterday pulling the snow off my roof in anticipation of the big thaw. I'm pretty sure the wife will let the stove go out today. Looks like I will be starting fires from scratch quite a bit this week. I've got to come up with something to store my quartered up Super Cedars in.

LLigetfa said:
I've got to come up with something to store my quartered up Super Cedars in.

I keep them whole until I need them. Break out a package and quarter them down as needed.

There's not supposed to be any big thaw here. It's going to be warmer, a degree or two above freezing for the daytime high, but I doubt if there will be much thawing. The knee-deep snow might settle a little, but I don't anticipate the cows getting muddy anytime soon!

Issued by: National Weather Service La Crosse
Last Update: 12:28 pm CST Jan 12, 2010

This Afternoon: Mostly sunny, with a high near 27. Southwest wind between 10 and 13 mph.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 15. Southwest wind between 10 and 14 mph.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 33. Southwest wind around 10 mph.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 25. South wind around 9 mph.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 32. West wind between 8 and 10 mph.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 20.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 34.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 33.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 14.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 32.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 14.

M.L.King Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 35.

I'm looking forward to the thaw, I need to work on some firewood. Somehow I stacked, and then brought into the house, a bunch of splits that I can't even get in the stove diagonally. What was I thinking?? One of my wood tubs is a good height for gauging if the split is too long, and I was either ignoring it, or using the other tubs.

For storing the supercedars, I think a metal cookie tin would work well. Especially a rectangular one with a hinged lid, those can be opened and closed one-handed. You might have to buy a full tin and force yourself to eat the cookies, though, that's how we got ours.

I remember thaws here in SE WI, In the late 70's we had a week or more of temps pushing a daytime high of 70 deg. a week later the highs were about 0 deg. same thing in the 80's &90;'s not every year though. Sometimes in Jan. sometimes Feb. always dumps real low after. Weather has been a lot drier on avg. the last 20 years or so.

The forecast keeps changing here. The other day they were calling for temps by the end of the week to be close to 40, now they are saying barely above freezing. I suppose tomorrow it will change again. Still going up on the roof.

A thaw!

Maybe for those good folks south of the Mason-Dixon.

Do not see one coming up here.

Valhalla said:
A thaw!

I'm north of the Mason-Dixon and will be in the 40s for the next four to nine days.

annette said:
I'm looking forward to the thaw, I need to work on some firewood. Somehow I stacked, and then brought into the house, a bunch of splits that I can't even get in the stove diagonally. What was I thinking??

I did the same thing yesterday and split down a bunch of larger splits. I guess my eyes were bigger than my stove's stomach. I had 40 or so splits that were just huge.

Todd said:
Finally it looks like El nino will kick in and moderate the temps. Suppose to hit the 30's for highs for the next week or so. Good time to get up on the roof and run a brush down, clean and inspect the stove and save some firewood. I've been burning pretty hot lately, now I can go back to those 2 per day feedings.

With the warmer weather we will run the pellet stove more during the day and the wood stove at night.

zap

I guess it depends on which weather service you look at. Accuweather is calling for upper 30's for the next 15 days and the Weather Channel is calling for lower 30's for the next 10 days. That's ok, I'll take it.

Just got done sweeping the chimney and stove, good to go til Spring.

BrowningBAR said:
Valhalla said:
A thaw!

I'm north of the Mason-Dixon and will be in the 40s for the next four to nine days.

40s... a heat wave. Lucky you.

Enjoy it!

Lower 40s today and 50 by Friday. I am breaking out the Bermuda shorts and the Corona Extra.

I thought I thaw a thaw but think the thaw went through, without thoroughly thawing anything in need of thermal therapy. So we thrash through the thick thoughtless Arctic thrust, and thread through and thrive in its thrill and hope that we thee a thaw thoon.

Valhalla said:
A thaw!

Oh don't worry...our thaw's comin. We just gotta wait until sometime in March, that's all.

-Al
Kent Sherwood

Status
Not open for further replies.