Japanese Pagoda Tree Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chemie

Feeling the Heat
Aug 11, 2018
New York City
Hi,
I found on CL that someone giving away firewood from Japanese Pagoda Tree. Person says it’s been seasoned for three years. He even gives away the metal firewood rack.
Anyone has any experience with Japanese Pagoda Tree firewood?
How much wood is in there you think?
1, 0.65, 0.5 cord?
It is half an hour drive for me. I may need to do multiple trips.
783dd87d89da19d862f84a8b7006f7f7.jpg

I would say no more than half a cord there. Probably closer to one third. Depends on the length of the cuts. But any dry wood is good wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: chemie
Almost 1/3 of a cord. Definitely seasoned. Have no clue whether Japanese pagoda is especially good firewood.

Its primary use is for landscaping (lots of panicles white flowers, followed by panicles of heavy, slimy fruit). It has strong, flexible, dense wood.
Japanese pagoda tree (Sophora japonica) is the Pea Family (Fabaceae) like black locust, so I imagine it would be be similar to locust - good burning, but takes a while to season.
It looks like about a 1/3 of a cord (16" * 4' * 8' = .333 cord).
A half hour drive for free wood (plus metal rack) is probably not too bad a deal, especially if can combine trip for something else too.

Reactions: JimBear and chemie
Its primary use is for landscaping (lots of panicles white flowers, followed by panicles of heavy, slimy fruit). It has strong, flexible, dense wood.
Japanese pagoda tree (Sophora japonica) is the Pea Family (Fabaceae) like black locust, so I imagine it would be be similar to locust - good burning, but takes a while to season.
It looks like about a 1/3 of a cord (16" * 4' * 8' = .333 cord).
A half hour drive for free wood (plus metal rack) is probably not too bad a deal, especially if can combine trip for something else too.

I got the wood and the rack. After coming home, I realized almost all the wood is frozen.
I will bring a bagful to inside to thaw them before putting them in the stove.
IMG_9850.jpg

Before you burn it you might want to test with a moisture meter - bring wood up to room temperature and test the inside of a fresh split.
Despite being cut and stacked n a rack for 3 years, firewood loses little moisture until split.