Jeep Bumper guessing game.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gzecc said:
Inferno, Look at the winch kit. It has an A-Frame boom set up. The rings would hold the poles. They would cantilever within the holes.

Nope. Notice that there is nothing (even on the A frame part) that would have that large of a pivot. The rings on mine have an ID of approx 3".

John_M said:
Here is the best I can do for a photo: http://www.city-data.com/picfilesc/picc36369.php

I have also seen military jeeps and 3/4 ton pickups modified to work on rails and still remain DOT approved for highway use. :coolsmile: John_M

John, I really wish I had a closer look at that. Under the front end there was a pretty heavy piece of some type of mount. I assumed it to be an old plow mount (and it serves that purpose today), but it could have been something else.

Thanks John - looking at those links convinces me that the hitch was probably not used for that purpose. It just doesn't have any of the supporting stuff to go along with it (i.e. manual throttle, levers, etc.). Nor any signs of every having that stuff. My bet is a more utilitarian add on. It would appear that the hoops were either a swivel (hinge) or for hooks or chains.

I do appreciate all the ideas though. I was kinda hoping for someone to come on line and say "oh yeah, we had one on the farm and it was used for......."

One other side note: The bed has no markings, holes or plates that would suggest anything ever "connected" or was installed in it.

A good friend of mine upon coming to impassable terrain( usually under the influence of power pops) wood always ask me, "How do ya get down in there!!!???". My response was always "With your G!% D@&* JEEP !!!!" He never asked, "How do you get it out?" because I don't think he ever got his Jeep stuck.

I've never seen anything like that before and I've seen a sheet load of customized off roaders. Maybe the previous owner just went overkill on some block and tackle hooks for the winch and maybe some extra weight for plowing.

advantageousLEE said:
A good friend of mine upon coming to impassable terrain( usually under the influence of power pops) wood always ask me, "How do ya get down in there!!!???". My response was always "With your G!% D@&* JEEP !!!!" He never asked, "How do you get it out?" because I don't think he ever got his Jeep stuck.

I've never seen anything like that before and I've seen a sheet load of customized off roaders. Maybe the previous owner just went overkill on some block and tackle hooks for the winch and maybe some extra weight for plowing.

Could be.

I have personally used it for skidding. Short chain a log up to those bad boys and put the log weight on the back wheels and the plow up front.....I think I could have climbed upside down.

Status
Not open for further replies.