Jeep Bumper guessing game.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
This is the back bumper on my old 1959 FC150 Jeep (if you can call it a bumper). I have spent years trying to figure out its original purpose. I have had it suggested that it was the hinge point for a trencher. I have had it suggested that it was for skidding. The fact is - I don't really know. The circles are very heavy. About 1" thick with the meat of the circle about 1.75" thick. In between the circles it has many holes drilled so that whatever went into it - it could be adjusted from left to right in about 2" increments. On the left side of the left circle please note the plate. I don't have a clue about the plate - vise maybe??

So whats your best guess???

Attachments

• jeepbumpersm.jpg
    jeepbumpersm.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 389
While it seems out of place on a 1959 jeep, the first thing that comes to mind is airborn bumpers.

The "airborn jeep" had bumpers mounted to the frame with eyelets exactly like you describe so they could be picked up as a parcel.

JeepRear.jpg

I know what you mean - I have an old military generator with the lift rings. I don't think that is the case with this bumper. The rings are not spaced far enough apart to provide stability for lifting from them. They are only spaced a total of ~24-28" apart. The thing has been a mind stumper for me.

I think they are simply home-made hooks. The small plate may have been added as a step to get in the bed. Does this FC have a PTO? The multiple holes could be to allow offsetting whatever implement it might be towing. Its hard to say. The holes might have made more sense when that piece of steel was part of whatever it was on before somebody welded it onto the truck. lots of weird stuff can happen to a machine over 50 years and a few owners.

I know the pics don't really do it justice, but I will describe it a little better. The plate to the left is all part of the same "frame" as the rest. It wasn't added on, it was part of the original build (of the hitch). I believe the hooks or circles were stamped or possibly cut, but it would have been a machine cutting them. They are too perfect for a hand torch. This hitch has a manufactured appearance and workmanship. Not typically something a farm shop would put out. It "appears" to be more of an implement type of arrangement. But then again, if I knew what it was, I wouldn't be asking. :red:

This jeep does have the output plate for a PTO, but does not have a PTO shaft. Again, its hard to describe, but the mounting of this hitch was a very deliberate act. It had to of served a purpose for someone to go through the hassle of bolting it up.

Jags, show us a picture of the whole jeep. My guess is either part of an eary tandem towing hitch or part of a front plow hitch mounted on the rear later. Does the front have any remnants of its connecting? do the bolt holes, welds line up in front?

sorry, sidetrack....did you see the picture of the dude cutting wood with the big saw on that link? wicked cool. I've seen those saws before, but never in action powered by a Jeep PTO.

I still say it is a home made "improvement" made of found parts. I'll keep looking around. I've got time and I am bored.

gzecc said:
Jags, show us a picture of the whole jeep. My guess is either part of an eary tandem towing hitch or part of a front plow hitch mounted on the rear later. Does the front have any remnants of its connecting? do the bolt holes, welds line up in front?

I don't think its a snow plow hitch. There is no signs of this being mounted anywhere else or ever to another piece of equipment. The jeep has had a front blade for lots of years.

Attachments

• jeep_sm.jpg
    jeep_sm.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 277
Flatbedford said:
I still say it is a home made "improvement" made of found parts. I'll keep looking around. I've got time and I am bored.

I am a pretty good shop fabricator. This would be tough to replicate with typical home/shop tools (and I have all the presses, welders, torch, small mills that many home shops don't have).

Would the rear attachment gear make sense for a vehicle used by a railroad company for track maintenance? John_M

John_M said:
Would the rear attachment gear make sense for a vehicle used by a railroad company for track maintenance? John_M

Possibly - do you have any examples??

I fixed the link.

Flatbedford said:
I fixed the link.

Yes, yes - if you notice to the right of the license plate - there is a flat plate with holes in it (not the lower section with the angle iron), that is where my hitch is attached. The lower angle iron piece in the pic does not exist on mine (and I think it "may" have been added to the one in your pic).

How about something like this?
Ramsey%20Winch%20Gin%20Poles.jpg

Inferno, Its probably part of the rear winch assembly kit. Things change over time. Does it have any connectors in the front of the bed near the cab?

gzecc said:
Inferno, Its probably part of the rear winch assembly kit. Things change over time. Does it have any connectors in the front of the bed near the cab?

No connectors towards the cab. I don't see what the rings would have to do with a winch.

Inferno, Look at the winch kit. It has an A-Frame boom set up. The rings would hold the poles. They would cantilever within the holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.