Joined the Pine Group

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:
No shame in burning Pine. Besides, you don't want an untidy spot in your woods :)

The wife seems to be from the old school concerning Pine so I sent her this.

Back in the early 1980's, tests were conducted to discover which kind of wood created the most creosote in a regular "open" fireplace. The results were surprising. Contrary to popular opinion, the hardwood's, like oak and madrone, created MORE creosote than the softwoods, like fir and pine. The reason for this, is that if the softwoods are dry, they create a hotter, more intense fire. The draft created by the hotter fire moves the air up the chimney faster! Because it is moving faster, the flue gas does not have as much time to condense as creosote inside the chimney. Also, because the flue gas is hotter: it does not cool down to the condensation point as quickly. On the contrary, the dense hardwood's tend to smolder more, so their flue gas temperature is cooler. Thus, more creosote is able to condense on the surface of the flue. So, saying that "fir builds up more creosote than oak" just isn't true! It is a misunderstanding to think that it's the pitch in wood which causes creosote. It's not the pitch that is the problem, it's the water IN the pitch. Once the water in the wood has evaporated, that pitch becomes high octane fuel! When dry, softwoods burn extremely hot!

zap

Yes I have found that this is very true. In fact the best way to get woods like oak, walnut, and fir to burn really well is to throw in large pine splits with them. Its like throwing in a grenade which sets off everything else.

btw, this thing about pine being a bad wood to burn is actually a bonanza for those who understand what you've posted. Lets try to keep a secret a little while longer. I've got 10 cords of oak, walnut and fir I've still gotta burn before the word gets out.

zap, we had about 8-9 inches on the ground, but it rained last night, so now I'm not sure.
It's a bit over 40 °F right now too, and everything is melting some. The whole driveway turnaround (horseshoe), up beside the pole barn, the walk area to the front porch, and the area between the house and wood shed are one big sheet of ice. Walking on it is treacherous, at the least. Dennis suggested filling a bucket with sand to spread over it, but I never got around to it. DOH!!
I've got almost a 1/3 cord of W. pine branches to get cut up too just in the side yard. Piled 'em all up while cleaning up the yard after the tree crew went through the power line. At least as much in the property across the road.
It'll wait, even though the grubs will probably get into it. They burn too. :coolsmile:

Scotty Overkill said:
zapny said:
SolarAndWood said:
No shame in burning Pine. Besides, you don't want an untidy spot in your woods :)

The wife seems to be from the old school concerning Pine so I sent her this.

Back in the early 1980's, tests were conducted to discover which kind of wood created the most creosote in a regular "open" fireplace. The results were surprising. Contrary to popular opinion, the hardwood's, like oak and madrone, created MORE creosote than the softwoods, like fir and pine. The reason for this, is that if the softwoods are dry, they create a hotter, more intense fire. The draft created by the hotter fire moves the air up the chimney faster! Because it is moving faster, the flue gas does not have as much time to condense as creosote inside the chimney. Also, because the flue gas is hotter: it does not cool down to the condensation point as quickly. On the contrary, the dense hardwood's tend to smolder more, so their flue gas temperature is cooler. Thus, more creosote is able to condense on the surface of the flue. So, saying that "fir builds up more creosote than oak" just isn't true! It is a misunderstanding to think that it's the pitch in wood which causes creosote. It's not the pitch that is the problem, it's the water IN the pitch. Once the water in the wood has evaporated, that pitch becomes high octane fuel! When dry, softwoods burn extremely hot!

zap
great info Zap. Now I AM convinced.....

Hey, hey! Let's not convince TOO many folks. Otherwise our sources will dry up. ;)

Actually, a neighbor down the road is clearing a house lot and asked if I wanted any of the pine trees they cut down (and topped, and de-limbed and bucked 12ft lengths). About 8 cord worth. Half of it is destined for my sawmill since they are nice straight trunks. He's keeping all the hardwood he cut down (about 15 cord) for himself....and he has an OWB! I ain't gonna argue. I just ordered a small log arch to transport them the 1/2 down the road. It'll come in handy for the occasional saw log from my woods.

they cut down (and topped, and de-limbed and bucked 12ft lengths). About 8 cord worth.
Shoot, if somebody wanted to give me wood already in 12 foot lengths, I wouldn't care what species it was. It all burns one way or the other.

I have been c/s/s pine for a few weeks now at my parents place. I cant seem to get my dad on board with it and he presented me this question that I could not ansewer, some of the trees we are splitting literaly have about a cup or two worth of sap condensed in a small pocket. Does that burn up? My dad seems to think not

PapaDave said:
zap, we had about 8-9 inches on the ground, but it rained last night, so now I'm not sure.
It's a bit over 40 °F right now too, and everything is melting some. The whole driveway turnaround (horseshoe), up beside the pole barn, the walk area to the front porch, and the area between the house and wood shed are one big sheet of ice. Walking on it is treacherous, at the least. Dennis suggested filling a bucket with sand to spread over it, but I never got around to it. DOH!!
I've got almost a 1/3 cord of W. pine branches to get cut up too just in the side yard. Piled 'em all up while cleaning up the yard after the tree crew went through the power line. At least as much in the property across the road.
It'll wait, even though the grubs will probably get into it. They burn too. :coolsmile:

Dave, you can also use some of that sawdust you made last summer.

Kyle M said:
Does that burn up? My dad seems to think not

Yes it does burn up. It will make a sooty smoke and burn very hot, but it will burn for sure. I burn it all the time. I put that kind of wood in with splits which may be on the damp side. The flame from the burning sap helps dry them out.

Redbear86 said:
Being in Idaho its mainly softwoods, pinion pine is the best i believe, then fir then spruce then the rest of the pines. Where in ID you from Ponderosa? I live in Marsh Valley area, got a few guys from Idaho falls and the pan-handle.

I'm building a house in Idaho City-36 miles NE of Boise.7.3 acres bordering Boise Nat'l Forest.Have lived in Boise/Nampa/McCall since 1972, GO BRONCOS!!

Zap im hoping to join the pine club here soon. i think it will be nice to mix in with my piles of uglies i got to get them fired up fast for the shoulder season. im currently splitting some maple as well nice and small for the reason to just throw some in the stove and get her going fast.

The pine we have here is called Scrub Pine and its not much good for anything, they are really ugly and I did cut one down that was up by main road last year and dried to make good kndling. I just don't think I would want to put too much of it in my stove at once, it has to be alot different than what you guys burn.

If one is in my way I will cut it otherwise I will leave them.

Pine is Fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.