Jotul #3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
I have the opportunity to pick up a Jotul #3 on the cheap. I could probably get it for about $200. It is in very good condition. I clearly do not need a fourth stove, but I am looking to upgrade the VC Intrepid for heating flexibility.

What can I expect from the #3? It is a Pre-EPA stove. How well does this stove work? Is it worth it?

works better than the intrepid.. you'll have none of the stupid "cant get her going" or "can't keep it going" issues that one runs into w/ the intrepid. Way less maint, as well.

summit said:
works better than the intrepid.. you'll have none of the stupid "cant get her going" or "can't keep it going" issues that one runs into w/ the intrepid. Way less maint, as well.

Thanks. Any idea where I can find the clearance specs on the stove? And do you know if the Jotul short leg kit works on this stove?

Is this an earlier, basic #3 or a later catalytic version?

BrowningBAR said:
summit said:

Thanks. Any idea where I can find the clearance specs on the stove? And do you know if the Jotul short leg kit works on this stove?

short legs will work: just unbolt the standard legs and re-attatch the short ones.
clearances are wierd w/ this stove: It has the built in rear heatshield, but they come up w/ some funky numbers based on use of dw pipe.
25" rear, 24" side, 18" corners w/ single wall pipe.
10" rear, 18" side and 14" corner w/ dw pipe.

BeGreen said:
Is this an earlier, basic #3 or a later catalytic version?

Non-cat version.

Status
Not open for further replies.