Jotul 500 v3 vs VC Defiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mdcski2

Nov 21, 2022
Boston
Hi Everyone, new to the forum but have spent some time looking around for answers. Looking for people's thoughts on Jotul 500 v3 vs VC Defiant (quality, durability, heating, overall use, etc.) I have a large house and don't expect the stove to provide all of the heating but do want to use it as supplemental and emergency backup incase of power outage etc. Not going the insert route as the fireplace is rather large 55w x 50h x 22d. Also esthetics are important (wife) which is a major factor in picking a stove. Also open to other suggestions but the two list above is where we are at the moment.

If I had to pick of the two it would be the Oslo. The VC’s are beautiful stoves but very finicky to operate and don’t have the best rep around here.

Also look at the PE T5/T6 or Jotul F45/F55 if cast iron is desirable.

Pacific energy T6 would be only one I would look at with a fireplace like that

Edit…. It is a top vent stove so it’s going to have to in the fireplace.

A Jotul F55 or PE T6 will fit in there and look great. Both of these stoves are simpler and lower maintenance stoves. Definitely plan on a block-off plate to seal off the damper area and get the blower for the stove.

Reactions: EbS-P
VC's are flawed. If you burn with the cat the cat will get too hot. If you dont burn with the cat you will need to clean your stove pipe every other week. Then there are the run away fires whereas the thermostatic control chooses just not to work then.
Run, do not walk from VC.