Jotul 550 insert in ZC fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannynelson77

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2010
PA
I have a prefab fireplace (Martin SB4800) which is a decent sized fireplace and will actually fit a Jotul 550 Rockland. However I know the weight of the Jotul is heavy at 550lbs and am curious if my prefab can hold this weight? Does anyone know or can find out more on how my fireplace base is constructed? Will it hold the weight? Anyone else have a Jotul 550 in a prefab zc fireplace?

I think the problem you're going to run into is the chimney system. Per the maual: "The factory-built chimney system must be fullylined with listed chimney liner meeting type HT requirements (2100°F) per UL 1777 (U.S.) or ULC S635 (CAN)."

You need to determine if you can run that unit inside the existing chimney or have to tear out the existing and replace with a new system.

I would be less concerned with the weight. If it does become an issue, do you have access below? Could you bolster the support from below?

Its my understanding that I just need and insulated liner that would bring me up to the 2,100 degrees.

As for the floor, it sits in the corner of the room, but the fireplace sits up about a foot so the insert would be sitting on the fireplace that is framed up about a foot from the floor. So I guess I am wondering how the fireplace was framed up from the floor and if it will hold the weight. Didnt know if someone knows about Martin fireplaces and could tell me how this is done?

The ZC unit I pulled out recently weighted less than 50 lbs. Can you just remove the unit and run support (brick/blocks/steel) to the subfloor?

Well yea thats what I should do I guess to see what is holding it up, but I can't pull that thing out without tearing up a good amount of my surround which would be a project.

Most weigh a bit more than 50 lbs. because many are fire brick lined behind the steel. If you pull out the whole unit then you are no longer talking about the Jotul approved insert into ZC installation because you are no longer inserting it into a fireplace.
Joe

southbalto said:
The ZC unit I pulled out recently weighted less than 50 lbs. Can you just remove the unit and run support (brick/blocks/steel) to the subfloor?
Sorry Balto. I thought you were talking about a complete tear out and removal not pull out, reinforce and reinstall.
Joe

Danny, any chance you could take a picture of your current set up? That would make it a bit eaiser to visualize what you are up against.
Joe

Well I now think I am going a different route. Looking into taking out the inefficient fireplace I have now and putting in a EPA fireplace like the Osburn Stratford (same as Enerzone 2.5 ZC). See the Jotul 550 would have cost me $5,000 installed. I found a local fireplace guy that can rip out my current unit and put in the Osburn Stratford for $5,500, and that includes new pipe and everything. For $500, I just think its a no brainer. Am I correct in thinking this?

What is the rated output on the Osburn and the enerzone? Did the 5 grand for the Jotul not include a new liner and install?
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.