Jotul #8 - Draft Wheel Door Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VTwoods

Jan 28, 2016
Vermont
Hello All, I would first like to thank everyone on this forum for all of the valuable information. I live in a cabin that I purchased in the fall of 2015 in Southern Vermont that came with a Jotul #8 (first generation with draft wheel - cabin built in 1984). I used this site frequently as I installed a SS liner in the chimney, and to learn good technique on stove operation. When we moved in, before using the stove, I replaced the door gasket (not the glass one), as well as the top gasket in the lid.
My Question:
This year, I plan to replace all gaskets after we have finished burning for the season (to include the gasket around the glass). Should I purchase a new piece of glass to replace the current one? (Current one is not broken...gets clean with some wet newspaper and ash) Should I order one just to have it on hand?
Thanks again for all of the information. I believe this is my first post, but I have read so many threads about the stove we own on here. It has been an extremely useful resource.

Reactions: spirilis
If it's not broken no need to replace it.

Be advised that you can have that replaced at any time by a specialty glass place. Here in NH we have like Portland Glass or Granite State Glass. Bring the door in, leave it with them, pick it up later. Easy.