Jotul 8AP - bypass damper not supposed to close all the way?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tom w

Feb 22, 2015
upstate ny
Hi, I was doing some repairs yesterday (new back burn plates, new catalytic element, etc.) and I noticed that the stove's damper doesn't close all the way, there's still about 1.5" of opening when the damper control rod is pushed to the closed position. I know that completely sealing the damper can sometimes cause back-puffing, but my question is, did they do that on purpose so it won't close all the way? Maybe to avoid backpuffing, or to control the mix of air to the catalytic element? Maybe the lawyers or the EPA made them do that? Or a manufacturing error? Since it's a catalytic, even with the damper closed completely, gases can still vent through the catalytic, so you'd think it's supposed to close completely, or more than it does, to allow the catalytic to do it's thing. The way it is now, with the damper in closed position and air intake 50% to 100% open, most of the flame and gases seem to go out through the damper, and virtually no visible flame/gases are going to the catalytic. Or maybe that's the optimum for the stove design?

I noticed this right away, before I took it apart, so it's not that i installed something incorrectly. And it's easy to see why it won't close. There are 2 main parts... a damper control rod that's just a push rod from the front of the stove. It connects with a cotter pin to a pivot arm that's on the end of a 2nd rod, which is essentially the hinge rod for the damper. It's wierd, because what's stopping it is the pivot arm of the hinge rod ... it's welded onto the hinge rod. In other words, it sure looks like it's made that way, and there are no other possible "adjustments" or ways to change it, at least not that I can see. If I disconnect the control rod and operate the damper on it's own, the pivot arm hits a part of the stove itself. BTW the damper has a gasket, so it sure looks like it's meant to be closed all the way.

I'm fairly competent with mechanics, and this is such a simple mechanism, I'm really scratching my head over this one. I checked the hinge rod completely, and the welds aren't bad, it's solidily connected to the damper through other welds. I'm stumped.

It's 1995 Jotul Series 8AP, catalytic. Thanks for the help!

Good question. Like you I would expect the bypass to close all the way, but I am not familiar with this cat version of the model 8. Jotul went through several iterations of cat designs on their smaller models, then switched to tubes. Start a conversation with @stovelark here. He has a lot of Jotul knowledge. And welcome to hearth.com!

Check out the hinges to the bypass damper. The hinges have a threaded rod welded to the back of them that go through the back inner plate and are secured with a nut and washer. Then the top baffle installs on those same threaded rods and is secured with another nut. If your baffle warped at all it will stretch those threaded rods and your bypass damper won't shut properly because the hinges are loose. That was my issue anyways. As a precaution to avoid the failure in the future i did not tighten the nuts on the top baffle down much to keep it loose. Jotul still manufactures aforementioned hinges. $20/each.

Reactions: begreen
Old thread, but thanks for that good tip! Feel free to start a new thread on the operation and maintenance of this stove. It's very helpful information.

Did anyone find a resolution to this problem? I just got a series 8 and am experiencing the same issue. Mine is to the point where when I close the bypass damper (control rod pushed in), the weight of the damper actually opens itself back up, it cant stay closed.