Jotul C 450 Ashlip Extension & Blower Motor Cleaning Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bartidge

Jan 10, 2016
ballston spa, ny
Hi-

I am new to the forum and am attempting to clean and oil my blower motor on my Jotul C 450 Kennebec stove.

I found a helpful reference thread here:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/stove-blower-maintainance-for-the-jotul-c450.57090/

That said, I am stuck at the beginning of the process.

I have removed the iron top plate and iron fascia of the ashlip extension unit housing the motor.

I see according to the user manual (pg. 15), that the ashlip unit with motor slides into firebox and seats with three clips on the bottom.

The prior thread above says the unit should also slide right out when doing a cleaning

Mine will not slide out. It's in place tight enough that I feel I might break the clips if I pull any harder.

Is there a trick to getting these clips to release?

I can't really get at the clips w/o first removing the metal shroud guard around the motor (and you can't take that off without sliding the ashlip unit out from the firebox - so I'm stuck.)

Any help / suggestions appreciated.

@Rudyjr - do you have any tips?

Thx.

Chris

Last edited:
Yeah - hmm. Thx.

I don't have the hex bolts (C) on the front of the shroud shown in the updated manual... there are screws on the top and backside of the shroud on mine.

I can't get the screws off on the backside of the shroud because there is no access room. If I could get the shroud off, I could get at the clips that clip into the firebox and are obviously stuck.

You need to be able to pull the entire ashlip unit as designed to get the shroud off.

I suspect the updated manual and newer stoves now include design mods to remove the shroud from the front to get at the clips and that stuck clips may be a problem in older designs like mine :-/

Not sure next steps.

I did vaccum the area out as best I could and hit the inside motor housing and areas with compressed air... motor is running quite a bit better now, but still want to get it out for a thorough cleaning and oiling...

Last edited:
How odd, mine pulled right out, have you tried taking a crowbar and lifting up the stove to take weight off the blower assembly and then try taking it off?

Good idea... maybe the clips are stuck due the mildly uneven hearth surface (blue granite and mortar).

I'll give that a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.