Jotul C350 blower speed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixminus1

Jan 11, 2008
Coastal NJ
Hi all, I have an issue with the blowers on a 6 year old Jotul Winterport. This insert has been going strong since 2008, but recently I've noticed that the blowers just slow down by themselves after a while, even though the knob is on the highest setting. I can get them back up to speed by backing off on the knob a bit, but I'm wondering if there's a way to fix this without buying new blowers (a total cost of about $1100 - half of what I originally paid for the whole unit!). Could it just be the potentiometer? Anyone else run into anything like this? Is there a way for me to replace just the pot without replacing the whole fan unit? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
If adjusting the control speeds the motors back up, I would venture a guess that the motors are fine and that the issue is with the control. $1100 for fan and control?? That sounds a bit wackadoodle to me.

That's what I'm hoping. And yes, multiple places quoted me $450 for the left blower, and $650 for the right. Insanity.

Update: Problem should be fixed soon. I looked through the parts diagram, and found the "rheostat" kit. Found a local place that handles Jotul. Guy I spoke to (who seemed knowledgeable) confirmed that the rheostat is likely the culprit. He quoted me $75 for the replacement kit. Also, better news on the blowers. He said that he's seen ridiculous prices for them, but his store can get them for $250 and $290, respectively. So, still pricey, but since I don't think I need them right away, I can save up for a while, buy them when I'm ready, and keep them stored until the originals inevitably wear out.

Status
Not open for further replies.