Jotul C350 Wintersport Insert - advice please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

qqberts

Feb 29, 2016
Massachusetts
Hi all,,

I've grown up around woodstoves and can navigate around them pretty well. However, we decided, four years ago, to try an insert (Jotul C350 Wintersport insert) because we thought this would fit the decor a bit more.

I've become pretty dissatisfied with the insert and looking for advice. To me, the design is silly that you open the door and ash can fall right down to where the blower pulls in the air in (wish it had a tray like the bigger model). I vacuum constantly but we've already seized one motor/blower on it, assuming due to ash build-up that's been sucked in. So, perhaps we are missing something with our yearly cleaning regimen. Could anyone post some advice or cleaning recommendations? Or any helpful comments at all on how you work your insert.

Many thanks!

It's a shortcoming of flush inserts that have no ash lip. This is not specific to the Jotul. It's why I recommend getting an insert with an ashlip, even if it is not flush. To mitigate the issue turn off the blower before opening the door and clean up the ash before turning it on again.

Agree. Over the years I've realized it's the best option to shut it off first. Thanks for the confirmation.

Any other advice regarding it's cleaning? I'm really at a loss.

I had that insert previously and used it for 1 season so I may not be of much help here... But, at least every couple of weeks when using the insert I would take both fan motors out, hit them with the air compressor, and vacuum out the housing for the fans. It was sort of a pain to do but I'm sure in the long run it would drastically increase the life of the fan motors and help with the dust situation.

I have Jotul 550 which is identical to yours just bigger. It's the only insert I've owned so nothing to compare to. Agree that an ash lip would be great. An ash vacuum may the way the go. Aside from this issue, how do you like the insert?

Honestly, we don't get the BTU's we expected out of it. As Sen166 recommended, I do vacuum out the front every day (and use a dust pan most times I open it due to fallen ash) and pull the motors out every few weeks. However, even with that level of care, we've already blown one motor. At over $60 (or $80, can't remember) for the new part, I won't be happy if it happens again.

I miss the traditional wood stove without the required blower. We're leaning toward selling this and getting a wood stove. This one is quite pretty, which is why I chose it, but we miss the quiet without the blowers going all the time, and ease of a wood stove. Additionally, if our power goes out (we are in New England) this insert would do very little to heat even just the room let alone the whole house. I'm leaning toward a Vermont Castings. Always had the best heat from them and, if packed properly, lasted well through the night.

How do you like yours?

if you're thinking of the old VC just know that ownership has changed hands a few times and you might not get what you remember, do you have enough space to put a free standing stove in and vent it into the liner for your insert? woodstock makes some rearventing stoves. i'm sure a few others can chime in with other ideas and options.

There are good looking inserts that convect pretty well during a power outage. These are not flush. The more the insert projects out onto the hearth the better its chance at convecting well without the blower. A good looking and performing heater is the Enviro Boston (or Venice) 1700. Of course, this depends on what will fit in the fireplace. Likewise if you would like to change to a freestanding stove, be sure to measure the lintel height first. The top of the flue exit from a rear-vented stove must be below the lintel for proper performance. Let us know the lintel height and we can help with the stove choice. Read up on VC stoves here first before deciding.

Honestly, we don't get the BTU's we expected out of it. As Sen166 recommended, I do vacuum out the front every day (and use a dust pan most times I open it due to fallen ash) and pull the motors out every few weeks. However, even with that level of care, we've already blown one motor. At over $60 (or $80, can't remember) for the new part, I won't be happy if it happens again.

I miss the traditional wood stove without the required blower. We're leaning toward selling this and getting a wood stove. This one is quite pretty, which is why I chose it, but we miss the quiet without the blowers going all the time, and ease of a wood stove. Additionally, if our power goes out (we are in New England) this insert would do very little to heat even just the room let alone the whole house. I'm leaning toward a Vermont Castings. Always had the best heat from them and, if packed properly, lasted well through the night.

How do you like yours?

I like the 550 insert we have overall. Does a good job of heating the first and second floor of the house for a total of 1500sq feet. If we had gone with the wintersport, I think it would have struggled to keep house warm. Might have cooked ourselves out with a freestanding stove due to fireplace being in smallish size den. I think I have had better luck than you with the motors. A call to the dealer may be helpful. Good luck with whatever you go with

Status
Not open for further replies.