• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bowb22

Jan 5, 2022
Michigan
Greetings, long time lurker never posted. I use a outdoor boiler for heat so this issue is not pressing. I'm looking for advice on my jotul c450 kennebec insert. My insert has had this awful rattle since week 1. It was installed by my local dealer.. My blower bearings are good. Has been changed twice. The dealer is not taking the time to light a fire and listen to the rattle and diagnose.. instead iv gotten 2 years of running around and "fixes" such as putting firebrick under the front of insert to push it into wall. Or the latest was to remove the insert and mortar it in place. It still moved with 1 finger. I'm a vehicle mechanic by trade and not familiar enough with how these are attached to properly decide what is wrong. Also being from the south and recently moving north I never had the opportunity to mess with inserts. I have 2 main questions. Should my insert be able to move when pressed on with 1 finger? Does anyone else have a jotul with this problem. I really appreciate any insight someone may have.

Also just to add. When pushing against the face of the insert so that it touches the wall the noise subsides and all I hear is the blower noise functioning like it should.
I have 2 videos. 1 of the rattle and 1 of the insert being pushed. Having trouble posting thoes.

Thankyou

Mortaring in is not a solution. Is there a reason why the insert is not back far enough into the fireplace cavity so that the face rests firmly against the fireplace face? Is it bumping in the rear? If so, the fireplace brick there can be carved out with a grinder for a better fit.

Reactions: Bowb22
Mortaring in is not a solution. Is there a reason why the insert is not back far enough into the fireplace cavity so that the face rests firmly against the fireplace face? Is it bumping in the rear? If so, the fireplace brick there can be carved out with a grinder for a better fit.
This was my thought. Being that I'm in the service industry I'm beginning to think this insert wasn't fitted to the existing fireplace correctly and is now causing me issues due to fitment. Again I don't know enough about them to say. I'm not sure why it's not back far enough. When they came to measure originally they said it was a heatilator fireplace. On another email from them they are calling it a cz fireplace, this is making me think there may have been a screw up measuring on there end and or choosing the best insert for my fireplace. But as a general rule this insert should be tight and flush correct?

Can you post a picture or two of the fireplace? Do you have any of the fireplace before the C450 was installed? That would be helpful. If it's a heatform style then there may be a solution. If not, that could be a problem. I think they may have called it a ZC (zero-clearance) fireplace. In that case, this may not be a legal install. Many ZC fireplaces do not permit insert installation.

Before, this is the only picture I could find. I really appreciate the help.

20191011_172915.jpg

Begreen if you would like the videos of the rattle and movement I am able to email them no problem. Just having problems posting video to forum. I will post a photo of the insert when I get home tonight and can get a picture.

Thanks

I have the same insert (see my icon above) and from time to time have gotten rattles. In every case they have been due to sheet metal parts that vibrate when the blower is running. I have taken the whole blower assembly apart to clean and tighten things (I did find a brace loose in there) but I still get an occasional buzzing rattle. Sometimes I can silence it just by tapping the ash lip, which is also a source of rattles as it is only held in by gravity. So I guess you could try some tightening and making sure sheet metal parts aren't touching in ways that cause rattles. PS: I'm a former NIASE certified tech, mostly Porsche & Audi, so a wave of the wrench to you!

Reactions: Bowb22