Jotul C550 Rockland Question- Fresh Air Port?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sugarbush Burner

Sep 14, 2018
Warren, Vermont
Hello.

I am brand new to this site, and I have just purchased 2 Inserts to install in my place. I have one internal masonry chimney with two separate flues in the center of the house. This masonry chimney serves upstairs and downstairs units in my duplex, each with an open fireplace.

I purchased two used Jotuls, and I have a professional coming to install both units (550 will go downstairs, and the 450 will go upstairs). Prior to the install, I am trying to do all appropriate research, and I have a question about importing fresh air (from outside the house) through the rear air ports. The 450 has a 3" rear port which is clearly explained in the user documentation. I plan to install a fresh air port from the outdoors to supply this unit, and I am wondering if I can do the same with the 550. The 550 owners documentation does not explain anything about the air port other than locating it on the unit. The rear port on the 550 is a different shape, and does not appear to allow connection with an extended port that will supply air from outdoors. Is there a way to port fresh air to this unit?

I'll look forward to any information provided. Thank you very much.

My 550 insert is not hooked up to any fresh air supply (I don't even recall it having a port) and it works fine in a 13 year old home. Fiber glass insulation, Pella windows, vented cooktop hood and typical bathroom fans so I'm sure I have plenty of leakage.

How are you planning to get a 3” vent into the fireplace?

If possible, the 3” vent could go up the same chimney 18”
I have 15” by 11” masonry chimney, so I’m hopeful that I can fit the 3” vent out the same tile chimney beside the 6” flex.

Attachments

• 862E1D3F-23FE-4EAA-9DFE-36EF1986817F.jpeg
    862E1D3F-23FE-4EAA-9DFE-36EF1986817F.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 8F0F78A7-4BFB-4D8B-8BF7-4B81A3832BB8.jpeg
    8F0F78A7-4BFB-4D8B-8BF7-4B81A3832BB8.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 195
Last edited by a moderator:
Typically the outside air intake shouldn’t be above the floor of the firebox.