Jotul Combifire #4 Crack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been sanding, brushing and grinding away my days (and nights after work) to bring an old Jotul #4 back to life from its rusty existence outdoors under an old blue tarp. I recently purchased the stove and am just about ready to have it professionally installed in my new outbuilding. Last week, I noticed a hairline crack in the front panel. It might have been there and I missed it when I looked over the stove. Should I burn the stove and leave the crack as is? Fill it with compound? I haven't been able to track down a replacement part. Weld it? Other options? Any advice is appreciated!

20160830_115852.jpg STOVE TIGHT.jpg

The FIRST thing I would do is to locate the extreme end of the crack & drill a hole all the way through.
Use a drill slightly larger in diameter than the crack width. The hole will prevent the crack from propagating further.
When you've done that, you can try filling the crack (& hole) with furnace cement. While it's not a permanent fix,
it will probably get you through the upcoming heating season.

Status
Not open for further replies.