Jotul F 400 Castine install help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vmaxer

Nov 18, 2020
Antioch,ca
OK. looked for woodstoves, couldn't find much in my area or the big box stores had "Not available in your area" because I'm in California.
Picked up this one, little more than I wanted to spend. Didn't seem like it was used much from original owner.
It has a shield for the back.

I was hoping you guys can help me gather an install list. BTW learned a lot from this forum. Thanks is super advance.

Older double wide with false roof corner install 7' ceilings. Will prolly have to remove due to construction I need to do in spring/summer time.
Concerns:
--I can manage clearances, and thought about installing 1" wall using roof tin. Should I do it or not?
--8" is minimal clearance from corners as I understand also 18" from pipe.
--Should I build a pad? Not sure where I can find sheet metal for it temporarily
--install kit with piping.
-- I assume will use adapter at top of stove goes into a telescoping double wall pipe
-- Goes into a class a pipe into a box(which box to get?) through real roof and more pipes up through false attic through the roof of same pipe? how long? guessing it will be at least 20 ft.
-- Also thinking hooking up an outside air kit too.
I'm handy with the work. Got last two weeks of the year off to install it.
I might have to order online, which is probably fastest even with in store pick up.
Please enlighten me with your suggestions.

IMG_20201209_123141283.jpg IMG_20201209_123136431.jpg IMG_20201209_123200466.jpg IMG_20201209_123125592.jpg IMG_20201209_123151775.jpg

Duraplus is DuraVent's value line. It has an extra air cooled layer which required a big hole and clearance diameter than their DuraTech chimney. This may not be the right type of support box for this installation either. Can you show some pics of the stove installation location including the ceiling. If a diagram helps, include a sketch too.

Reactions: Vmaxer
Thank you so much for responding!! I knew I could get help here.
I'll post a pic of proposed spot. and roofline when I have sun. :) Just FYI, I'm in a 50 x 20. They build a false roof on top on the home. it is vented in both sides It is about 4 ft tall. So not a flat roof here, I'm planning to open/enter the area tomorrow.
I very much doubt there is any insulation up there other than what the double wide from 1973 has.
I'll definitely make a great bracket to hold the ceiling box.

With a flat ceiling a standard ceiling support box can be used. If is is a peaked ceiling then the catherdral ceiling box is used.

Go to DuraVent's website and download the DuraTech and/or DuraPlus installation instructions. They are pretty good and will help you visualize options.

my ceiling is flat inside 7', joke comes because I'm 6' 2" :).
For educational verbage, the box in my link is referred as "Standart ceiling box"? At least in your words?

They just added roof. Do you think the kit I posted and getting correct piping would work?
I also wonder is it better to cut the box down to shorter length or not. I'd think yes because air won't get trapped around it.

That's a low ceiling. The stove docs require 47" clearance above the 28.5" tall stove or an 85.5" ceiling height.

Does the stove have the bottom heat shield attached? That will determine the hearth insulation value requirement.

There is about 53" from stove to ceiling w/o any pad at the moment. Top of stack of stove is at 30 1/2 measured. No bottom shield.

OK, with no bottom heat shield you will need to buy or build a hearth pad that provides R=2.0 insulation. That will eat up about 2" of the clearance, but it sounds like you will be ok.

Ok, will get two sheets of 4x4 plywood and thickest hardi/wonder board and put tiles on it?
Am I in right direction going up? I could build a bottom shield too or buy. I'm in more position to spend money instead of time.
Install will be me 100%. I do everything, and refer to my place as the machine. :)

Ok, will get two sheets of 4x4 plywood and thickest hardi/wonder board and put tiles on it?
Am I in right direction going up?
That would be ok if the stove had the bottom heatshield. Without it, the hearth will need much more than that for floor protection. Most likely it will need a layer of micore and then some layer of Durock NexGen on it to build up to R=2.0.

@begreen can you translate it to English? Durock I understand "layer of micore and then some layer of Durock NexGen on it to build up to R=2.0." Sorry for being lazy...

To build a hearth you make a sandwich out of non-combustible materials on top of a board like plywood. At the top of the sandwich will be the cement board, then tile or metal or stone, etc. In between the top and bottom will be whatever is required to build up the insulation value. You don't have lot of head room so you need something of high insulation value. Typically this is done with a mineral board like Micore or Roxul board. Here is a chart of common hearth materials and their R values.

Ordered not sure when it will get here at the moment, what do I reduce my requirements to master?
Otherwise it is 5x 1/2" durock next gen on to of something thin and tiles on it?

With the bottom heatshield, a sheet of metal would be the simplest. All that is required with the shield in place is ember protection. If you want tile then all it would need is a bottom layer of 3/4" plywood, then cement board then tile. Just be sure it is sized to the correct requirement or larger.

Would aluminum work as bottom sheets? I can add durock on them as well. Not sure where to get sheet metal for a pad around here. things have changed hard to find simple things these days.

Apologies for the mess, rebuilding a house makes it hard to keep it super neat. One interior corner, and one exterior far window is where the corner is.
I guess I should order one of those kits I posted earlier and a few pieces of triple wall that will fit it, and a brace.
Am I going in right direction?

Attachments

• IMG_20201210_163932942.jpg
    IMG_20201210_163932942.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20201210_155703340.jpg
    IMG_20201210_155703340.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 92
Looks like you need a conventional ceiling support kit that would get box framed in between the ceiling joists. Did you go to DuraVent's website and download their chimney pipe installation manual(s)?

No, that is a cathedral ceiling support kit. Download the installation instructions that were recommended.

Can you be a little more specific? To me that applies to a flat ceiling with attic. What did I miss?
With this kit I would be able to do all installation steps in this pic. and would be a similar to first two diagrams of install.

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 7.13.34 PM.png

What they are showing there is a ceiling support kit, not the cathedral support kit shown in the tractor supply kit.
Still, I guess you might be able to use the cathedral support in that kit and take it to the roof slope, and trim it to the roof angle.