Jotul F3CB 1990

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DSbrega

Jul 2, 2021
Colorado Springs
I found this Jotul F3CB on Facebook Marketplace for $600. The only problem is that is was made in 1990. I’m curious if a wood stove that old is even legal or certified to be used. There could be some serious issues hiring a company to install it. Are there any major differences with this wood stove with older and newer models? Are they all the same? The newer F3CB’s are quite nice. If the shoe fits, it seems like too good of a deal to pass up. It is blue, but can always be painted black. Do you think this is a good buy? Let me know what you guys think!

3BC59995-AFAD-4E5A-88DA-33B98823210C.png

Are you sure that this is an F3CB and not an F3 TD? The F3CB came out in 1995 and is EPA certified. Is there a UL label on the back? If so, can you post a clear photo of it?

If this stove is enameled it should not be painted. It would have to be sandblasted down to the metal to do so. The blue is unusual and pretty nice. I'd leave it as is.

So I have been “shopping” the model 3s always have confused me. I just found this that explains some differences. I really like the blue. For what it’s worth I still
Can’t identify it other than it’s not the catalytic version or the plain F3 (no bypass lever on top left and no draft wheel) if it’s perfect shape CB version I’d pay pay up to 900$ I’d go 500 for regular or TD and only if it was free would I take the cat version.

Evan.
F495A17E-E195-4AA3-985C-849562D771FE.jpeg

It doesn't look like the catalytic version. They had a bypass knob on the upper left front. If the interior is in as good condition as the exterior then it looks worth it. Offer $500 after checking it out.

This will not be as clean burning as the F3CB, but it is a decent, small heater. The stove should have a UL plate on the back. If not, it is considered an unlisted stove.

Reactions: EbS-P