Jotul f400 Airflow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soupsamich

Nov 12, 2016
Upsate NY
Hello,

Ill start off by saying that I'm new to the site, but from what I see its outstanding! A lot of great information.

I have a question about airflow on an F400 older model with the two doors. I am not appearing to get any airflow regardless of the control plate position. I actually took the control plate out and still nothing. In order to burn, I need to crack the ash door open. Is it possible that somewhere along its life, somebody blocked an air passage? Cant really tell how it flows from the top of the air plate to the burn box.

Thanks for any help.

welcome to the site. Be careful burning with the ash door open. You don't want to end up with a crack in your castings.

welcome to the site. Be careful burning with the ash door open. You don't want to end up with a crack in your castings.
Thanks for the reply and the warning. This little thing was so heavy, Id hate to crack it and have to take it back out! Ill try to figure it out. Cant be too difficult.

More than likely the airflow is fine. This could be a draft problem instead. Can you describe the complete flue system from the stove to chimney top? Include any turns in the piping.

Absolutely don't use the ash pan door to supply air under the fire. It risks cracking the base which will end up being a very expensive repair. Be sure the boost air ports (front and center just inside the firebox in front of the air control) are clear of ash.

Draft and or wood with higher moisture content. I have the newer single door and this thing really requires dry wood and with a chimney that just barely reaches 16’ above the fire box, it really doesn’t burn well until the outside temps reach 40 deg f or below.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.