Jotul F55 Carrabasset

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jason A

Jun 27, 2018
Temple, New Hampshire
Hey Folks,

Anybody running a Jotul F55 Carrabasset and experiencing the cast iron plates on the sides rattling? The plates on my stove are definitely loose and I can't see how to tighten them up.

Any feedback much appreciated.

Jason A

I have the rangeley basically the same stove mine do rattle if I bump stove don't believe there's anyway to tighten them
Mine sits on concrete floor so it don't happen to often

I don't have the Carrabasset, but just had to look at the parts diagram in the manual ... I sure couldn't figure out how or where to tighten those from the diagram. I've got a thing about anything that rattles/vibrates/makes noise - it's a curse because it just drives me crazy. One thought is to see if you can get it to rattle when the stove is cold and them maybe stick some door gasket material between the stove body and the plate and see if you can solve it that way.

I do have the Jotul Oslo and on occasion one of the firebricks would make a slight rattle when I walked past the stove ... there's a piece of door gasket in between the frame and that brick now and that took care of that.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I agree 100% about things that rattle or otherwise make noises they shouldn't. I also get that firebrick rattle occasionally and I assumed that was what this latest noise was. I was surprised it was the cast iron panel. The gap is tiny so not sure I'd be able to get gasket back there. I wonder if there is anything I could use almost like heatproof caulk.

It's funny, even though I'm finding this annoying and a little disappointing on a 6 month old stove, I wouldn't trade the F55 for anything. It is a total beast and keeping this NH winter outdoors where it belongs.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I have the same issue with mine but I have no idea how to tighten them. Hopefully someone on here has fixed this and can help out

After a season or two, mine started making a "pung" noise when heating up. At the bottom of each cast iron side panel is an Allen screw. Tightening that eliminated it for me.

Now mine makes a different "pung" noise when cooling down. It's fairly loud and I can hear it upstairs. The Allen screw is tight. When the stove is completely cold I can hear a rattle if I hit the side of the stove wth a fist. I can't find the source yet and I'm afraid of messing with it while I'm still burning. Once the season ends I'm going to spend some time with my head inside the firebox.

I had a loose fire brick on my Jotul that annoyed me as there was a slight gap between it and another brick . . . I used a liberal amount of furnace cement to secure it in place. Kinda figured it would only be a stop gap measure and I would have to keep reapplying it, but surprisingly enough I have not had to do so.

Reactions: XmasTreefarmer
I took a look at the Allen screws on each side of my stove and sure enough each one was loose. I tightened them up and it seems to have solved the problem. Thanks Knots!
I do still have some loose bricks but I'll deal with those in the springtime when I give the stove a thorough clean out.

Appreciate all the help!

I took a look at the Allen screws on each side of my stove and sure enough each one was loose. I tightened them up and it seems to have solved the problem. Thanks Knots!
I do still have some loose bricks but I'll deal with those in the springtime when I give the stove a thorough clean out.

Appreciate all the help!

This forum can be like magic at times. The power of shared knowledge! Welcome to the group.

This forum can be like magic at times. The power of shared knowledge! Welcome to the group.

Yeah, this place is worth WAY more than I paid for it

I keep clicking on the advertising to keep the site up and going though, so I figure I’m doing my part.

Yeah, this place is worth WAY more than I paid for it

I keep clicking on the advertising to keep the site up and going though, so I figure I’m doing my part.

Very true . . . although I sent in my $19.99 and still haven't received my complimentary Hearth.com member magic decoder ring.

Very true . . . although I sent in my $19.99 and still haven't received my complimentary Hearth.com member magic decoder ring.
Here ya go Jake. We were using it to encrypt the lock on the outhouse. State secrets and all ya know.

Jotul F55 Carrabasset

I had a loose fire brick on my Jotul that annoyed me as there was a slight gap between it and another brick . . . I used a liberal amount of furnace cement to secure it in place. Kinda figured it would only be a stop gap measure and I would have to keep reapplying it, but surprisingly enough I have not had to do so.

Yeah - I think you're right. Applying pressure to the bricks on one side of the stove while rapping it on the side eliminates the rattle. Not sure on the cooling "pung" yet.

Appreciate all the help!

It's all good! I learned it from someone else here!

Reactions: Jason A
A little off topic but does Anyone have experience with a blower on this stove? Worth the money?

It's just too pricey for me. I'm going to cobble up something myself.

A little off topic but does Anyone have experience with a blower on this stove? Worth the money?

No experience with a blower for this particular model . . . but I've found a cheap desk fan placed on the floor aiming towards the stove from an adjacent room does a very nice (and cheap) job of "moving the heat" in the home.

I'd be a little cautious about tightening all those screws up all that much. Cast Iron needs to be able to move some for expansion and contraction. Elliminating that ability can cause some structural issue potentially.

Good point. My stove is at temperature and I just went and looked. I can still see some daylight between the cast panel and the steel box. Maybe a call to Jotul is in order...

Yeah, I'm actually back to getting the rattle. I'm assuming that cast iron expanded when the stove got to temp and forced the screws to back out a fraction of a turn.

I tightened mine a couple of seasons ago and that particular rattle didn't return. I'm assuming the gap is there by design. Cast iron and steel have a similar coefficient of expansion, however the iron can't take the bending stress that steel can. Good iron is pretty tough though - engine blocks and crank shafts as an example.