Jotul F55 Carrabassett w/ Morso glass hearth plate: Install complete!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

7acres

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2013
South East USA
The fine folks on this forum helped us reach the decision to purchase this handsome wood stove some months ago (on this post). After taking my sweet time with the install it's finally done enough for pictures!

Before install:
Before.jpg

After Install:
After 1.jpg After 2.jpg After 3.jpg After 4.jpg

The white firebrick gives it away that I haven't fired it up yet. But that coming as soon as I've got the chimney through the roof and the project is 100% done. We can't wait to heat with wood this Winter!!! My wife is very pleased with how this all came together.

We feel like this hearth really takes the decor of the whole house up a notch. The clean lines of the F55 design pair well with the modern Morso glass hearth plate. The new stone hearth wall pulls it all together and builds on the rustic and cozy appeal of the hickory flooring. It just makes me so happy this project turned out so perfect!

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful home and stove install. Gonna be a cozy beautiful home this Winter. Ya dun good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7acres
fantastic looking install!!

Love the glass. Love the floor & stone. You nailed it.

Never seen glass used on the floor like that. With your space and nice wood floors it looks great!

OOOps! Didn't you install it incorrectly? Like, at the wrong address? I'm SURE you meant to install it in Eugene, OR . . . oh, wait, that's MY soon-to-be new address! :confused: Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait for a wood stove install that nice until my house is finished. Truly, you did a beautiful job! Enjoy your toasty winter. I'm sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo liking what you did;ex

Very nice job on the install. We just purchased the same stove and are looking for install ideas. We have an existing fireplace insert and unfortunately the height of the existing fireplace is 30" which is too short for us to install it into the already existing alcove. We are thinking about a piece of stove board for this year as a hearth extension and next year either doing a real alcove install or possibly extending the hearth with brick and closing up the existing fireplace. I almost wish that we did not have anything in place and we could start from scratch! Oh well, at least we will have it installed in some fashion in a little over a month and get to use it while we decide how to permanently change things around to make it fit right with our decor.

Very cool! I really like the glass hearth pad. Looks good and didn't have to cut up the floor. Have you though about breaking in the stove now so you can open all the windows? It might smell and smoke up the place.

Looks great. Top notch!

Thanks for all the warm complements. This forum is the main reason this came together like it did. Many, many thanks to the kind hearted, generous experts and professionals here. Fun and sometimes off-topic feedback from everyone here has been so enjoyable!

That's just a gorgeous looking install and getting the wife's approval before you even lit a fire in it is a tremendous accomplishment. I am wondering what she will say when she feels the warmth coming from it? ;)

Have you thought where to place the tools and wood for reloading?

I'm not usually a big fan of the glass hearths . . . but with that wood floor it looks really, really great.

Awesome!

That's just a gorgeous looking install and getting the wife's approval before you even lit a fire in it is a tremendous accomplishment. I am wondering what she will say when she feels the warmth coming from it? ;)

Have you thought where to place the tools and wood for reloading?

Here's our plan for firewood storage. If you head past the dining room table and thru the arch and hang a left in five steps you'll be at our front door. It opens up to the covered front porch. I'm planning on bringing up a cord of wood to stack there. And I plan to keep it topped off all through the heating season. My FIL gave us one of those leather firewood haulers (rectangle of leather with handles). We'll bring in bundles of wood with that.

As for tools, I'm still trying to figure out what's going to work best. There's obviously no room to store a full set of traditional fireplace tools next to the stove. That's a downside of my situation. The F55 has no removable ash pan. I'm really hoping the rustic hickory hardwood floor will hide some degree of wood burning mess like it hides the dirt and crumbs now.

I forgot to mention that I laid an invisible bead of silicon on the bottom edge where the glass meets the floor around the entire perimeter of the pad. So that should keep the underside of the glass clean. Please share with me any tips you'd recommend regarding fireplace tools and keeping clean this Winter.

I love the glass hearth pad and the stone work. Looks excellent.

Looks great, you'll like the Jotul.

Thanks! I can't wait to fire it up. It hasn't been cold enough yet. We're getting very close though.

Awesome addition to your beautiful home!

I would do the break in fires while it's warm enough to open the doors and windows... the first few can be a little stinky as the paint cures on stuff.

That looks fantastic! Almost wants to make me take out our insert and put in a freestanding stove. Did you do the work yourself?