Jotul F55 vs Pacific Energy T6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
Any Jotul F55 owners out there? How do you like your stove? Any problems? How about burn time? Can you cook on the f55 like the T6? How about firebox? Same size as the T6? Thanks!

The fireboxes are about the same size. Burntime will be about 10-12 hrs. in either stove, but that is relative to outdoor temps and how hard you are pushing the stove for heat and the fuel it is burning. Cooking on the T6 is more flexible because of the swing away trivet top that provides a very wide range of temps from boiling directly on the stovetop, to slow cooking, to gentle dough raising. The F55 has a bit nicer finish and casting details and a superior door latching mechanism. The T6 is more massive, weighing about 100# more than the F55. A lot of that is in the trivet top.

Reactions: Sailrmike
The fireboxes are about the same size. Burntime will be about 10-12 hrs. in either stove, but that is relative to outdoor temps and how hard you are pushing the stove for heat and the fuel it is burning. Cooking on the T6 is more flexible because of the swing away trivet top that provides a very wide range of temps from boiling directly on the stovetop, to slow cooking, to gentle dough raising. The F55 has a bit nicer finish and casting details and a superior door latching mechanism. The T6 is more massive, weighing about 100# more than the F55. A lot of that is in the trivet top.
Thank you!

By the way Begreen, how do you like the floating firebox in your T6? Do you think it's a advantage over the f55? I am looking really hard at both stoves. There is about a 5 or 6 hundred dollar difference in price.

I like the firebox design in the T6, no complaints. Baffle assembly is stout and easy to remove for cleaning. Haven't run an F55 so I can't directly compare them, but it looks like a good design.

I like the firebox design in the T6, no complaints. Baffle assembly is stout and easy to remove for cleaning. Haven't run an F55 so I can't directly compare them, but it looks like a good design.
Thanks Begreen. I like the T6 and the F55. Basically I would be paying for a ash system on the T6 that I would never use. I am leaning towards the F55 because it costs less. I was also considering a Woodstock, but the Progress Hybrid combustors have been sold out for some time now. 2 months I think.

Thanks Begreen. I like the T6 and the F55. Basically I would be paying for a ash system on the T6 that I would never use. I am leaning towards the F55 because it costs less. I was also considering a Woodstock, but the Progress Hybrid combustors have been sold out for some time now. 2 months I think.
Understood, I look at the cost difference as paying for the greater mass and the trivet top. The ash pan makes a dandy bun warmer. That said, there are lots of stoves including the F55 were not out when I bought the T6, so who knows what we would be burning in if purchasing today.

Last edited:
Does the f55 have the cast iron jacket like the Alderlea? A welded steel firebox like the T6?

Yes. The F55 is a steel stove with a cast iron jacket and secondary tubes. The T6 is the same basic construction but with the PE "floating firebox" meaning it has a unique stainless steel secondary box/baffle assembly. It also has the EBT which is a barometrically regulated secondary air supply and the trivet top.

Last edited:
Thanks. What a tough decision. Both stoves have features I really like. Thanks very much for your time and knowledge.

Don't sweat it, both are good stoves. You won't go wrong with either choice.

I just bought an F55 and was considering Pacific Energy as well. The fit and finish of Jotul stoves is outstanding and the loading door handle is solid. I really like the simplicity of the F55.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought an F55 and was considering Pacific Energy as well. The fit and finish of Jotul stoves is outstanding and the loading door handle is solid. I really like the simplicity of the F55.
I appreciate your response. I am leaning toward the F55 as well. It costs less. I wonder if you can use regular size stove gaskets or do you have to buy special gaskets at the dealer for it?

I appreciate your response. I am leaning toward the F55 as well. It costs less. I wonder if you can use regular size stove gaskets or do you have to buy special gaskets at the dealer for it?
The manual lists gasket diameters and densities in the parts diagram, so you could look for your own. I plan on buying them from my dealer because the gaskets available at hardware stores around here are lower in quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
The manual lists gasket diameters and densities in the parts diagram, so you could look for your own. I plan on buying them from my dealer because the gaskets available at hardware stores around here are lower in quality.
That's often the best option. I tried a couple different gaskets last year and removed them both for the OEM gasket. It sealed better and is clearly a better made gasket.

How can I clean the chimney with the f55? Can I remove the baffle and run a brush up the stove pipe from inside the house? Thanks

Progress combusters are available right now but ideal steel combusters are back ordered. I saw another member got a discount for early purchase of his replacement combuster. Thought about buying one early myself. Just in case. Lol

I can't add much to what's been said already here. I looked at the T6, but have no experience with it. I also like the simplicity of the F55.

The little kick-out of the fire bricks in the back corners is a minor annoyance but certainly not a show stopper for me.

I have a sliding section of double-wall pipe between the stove and ceiling. I disconnect that, tape a shopping bag to the opening, and then go up top and push a brush down and then up. I burn dry wood and follow Jotul's operating instructions and I get less than a cup full of soot at the end of the season.

I've run an F55 before, super simple operation, I like the door handle as well. Fit and finish on the one I used was top notch, and I definitely did some cooking on the top of it. But you can't go wrong with either one I don't think.

To you F55 owners.
How often do you have to empty your ashes? I'd imagine it'd be every 2-3 days. Am I close?

That is a big variable which depends on the species of wood and perhaps whether it is bark free or not. When burning doug fir 24/7 in the T6 I clean out the ash every month or so. Burning cherry or soft maple 24/7 it's more like every 1.5 to 2 weeks.

Last edited:
I currently fill the firebox once every day and four days a week I burn again later in the day (about a half-box). I'm burning bark-free, very dry red oak exclusively this winter and I don't burn it slow.

I'm removing ashes about every 2-3 weeks.