Jotul Troubleshooting - Pulling my hair out!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

IanD

Nov 12, 2017
Long Beach CA
Hello - I've got an older Jotul gas fireplace, I believe it's a GF3 DVII Allagash (though I'm not entirely certain.)

I'll try to provide as many details as I can, however, my multimeter recently broke and I haven't had the time to get a new one.

The problem is this: The pilot will only stay lit with the pilot knob depressed.

- The pilot flame is adjusted high and fully engulfs both the thermopile and thermocouple.
- There are no kinks in the thermocouple line, additionally, the line has been disconnected and reseated multiple times, and care was taken to ensure that it doesn't touch any other line.
- The thermocouple has been replaced a number of times in the past, these generally last a week or two before we're back unable to keep the pilot lit.
- A past technician suggested that improper venting was to blame, afterwards the stove worked for a few months before falling into the same issue.

I appreciate any help or insight.

Thanks!

You stated you are not certain of the model but are you certain it is a DV? Also do you know how to test out that valve with multi meter?

Thanks for your reply!

I am certain it's a DV. I've tested prior thermocouples with the multimeter before it broke on me, they consistently indicated that they needed replacement. I'm not sure I know how to test the valve though?