Just can't help myself!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
I said the heat would silence the stihl but the old lady wanted this oak took down because it shaded where she wants to plant some fruits trees . This will be an early morning and late evening job until done. This will go in the 17-18 winter pile
image.jpg
image.jpg

It was fairly healthy but deformed. Has an oak twice it size close to it and robbed all its sunlight

Now I understand what he meant. It fell like it was suppose to. I just didn't quite hit my lines on my back cut. Was cutting with my 16" stihl ==c

didn't quite hit my lines on my back cut.
Yeah, I don't know if it's the angle that the pic was taken at or what, but it looks like the saw came in below the "vee" of the wedge cut, instead of above. :oops: On a bigger trunk, I'll start the bar on what I think is a good plane, and when the bar is in 4" or so I'll turn the saw off and leave it in the cut. Then I can walk around and eyeball the plane of the bar from different angles to see if it looks like it's going to end up in the right place above the floor of the wedge cut, to leave a good hinge intact. Sometimes I'll make the wedge cut, then wrap a piece of twine around the trunk at the level I want the back cut, and mark it with a piece of chalk. Lately I've experimented with scoring a line with the saw chain from where I want to stop at the hinge, and pull that score line around to the back where I'm gonna start the back cut. I do that on both sides of the hinge mouth, then pull those score lines back where they're easy to see when I start the back cut. Then begin the back cut, stop like before and turn the saw off, and see if the back cut looks right. Pic from a Stihl manual...don't want to end up in jail! ;lol
Back cut.JPG

You know you're really in the advanced stages of the sickness when you start cutting your own trees up to "get your fix".....:p ;lol

Just kidding, I understand why you did it. Lots of nice wood there.....

Reactions: Woody Stover
Id hate to see what you guys would say about my beaver knawings.
I cant believe you cut a White Oak down.
Thats like witch doctor bad juju....
The squirrels and turkeys are gonna be pissed.
Oh...if you have a mower with a bagger to suck up the shavings it will keep the lawn from dying back. Dont know what it is about oak sawdust.

Send us some pics of the wood grain.

Congrats.

In all these years I have only had one fall backwards. Glad you got away. Took off when mine fell backwards and tripped and fell over the top of the saw bar. Fortunately legs and arms held me up off the chain while I heard that monster crash behind me.

Major whoops. And yes it was white oak.

Id hate to see what you guys would say about my beaver knawings.
I cant believe you cut a White Oak down.
Thats like witch doctor bad juju....
The squirrels and turkeys are gonna be pissed.
Oh...if you have a mower with a bagger to suck up the shavings it will keep the lawn from dying back. Dont know what it is about oak sawdust.

Send us some pics of the wood grain.

There's 10 more in the yard and hundreds in the woods. They won't miss this one==c.

Il send some pics of spits

you guys harassed him so much....
Hey, are the teeth on that rake pointing up?? ;lol
There's 10 more in the yard and hundreds in the woods. They won't miss this one==c
There's billions of people, but if you kill one they would have you believe it's a sin. Now, if you saw up dead people, they don't seem to have a problem with that... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebelduckman
Hey, are the teeth on that rake pointing up?? ;lol
There's billions of people, but if you kill one they would have you believe it's a sin. Now, if you saw up dead people, they don't seem to have a problem with that... ;)

Yea they are. When I got done a rake was the last thing on my mind;)

Status
Not open for further replies.