Just hit the jackpot....all the free wood I can take!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggs

Mar 8, 2013
Eastern PA
So I talked to a buddy today who works for a local tree management company and he got me in touch with his boss. Asked him if he had any wood he'd be willing to drop at my place and how much. He told me to stop by and take whatever I wanted...for free!!!!!

So I stopped by his shop and as I walked around back I almost fell over...there was a pile of logs all 8-10 feet long and averaging 24" in diameter. As I looked over the wood there was a ton of Maple, oak, cherry and black walnut. Even found some locust mixed in there also.

Anyway...he's 15 miles from my place and most of the logs are so big I'd only be able to haul a few at a time...so after a little talking..he said he'd deliver a load for $50 bucks.... for a full log truck of delivered wood...he said he can fit about 6 cords worth of logs on there :)

$50 bucks for 6 cords worth of 8-10 foot logs and they're already limbed...that seems like a great deal to me.

So did I do ok?

Riggs

I say OK :) I got 50 bucks bring me 6 cords :p Oh wait :oops: I'll take 12 cords

U did Great man , now U gonna be busy

50 bucks and I think a case of beer would be an appropriate thank you as well. You really hit the mother load if this can be a regular gig.

Reactions: Ashful
He said he's just so overwhelmed with wood since last November. The pile is at least 75 yards long and 25 yards wide. And maybe 30 feet tall! So I'm in a start gettin while the gettins good! $200 bucks (and some beer, I like that idea) and ill have the next 4 years covered.

Awesome

Yeah, you would spend close to $50 in gas just going back and forth with a pickup. I would gladly take whatever hardwood he is willing to deliver at that price and I would be cutting, splitting, and stacking like a machine to have the room available to process it ASAP.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
That makes me smile - Congrats!!!

Good thought gettin three years worth right away. If he's overwhelmed now he may not be next year. Welcome to the firewood hoarders club!

That's an amazing deal. Don't mess it up...don't tell your friends how much you paid, don't say anything to anyone...just give the guy his money and his booze and keep your head down.;)

Can't see your location with tapatalk, but I'll guess jersey. In down here for business and amazed at the amount of bucked up trees just sitting around waiting for someone to pick em up.

Ummm...no-brainer. I would take 20+ loads.

Can't see your location with tapatalk, but I'll guess jersey. In down here for business and amazed at the amount of bucked up trees just sitting around waiting for someone to pick em up.

yeah it's totally insane...i've seen/snagged at least 2 cords of worth of black walnut that was just lying on the side of the road bucked up into 12 foot logs from when the road crews were opening roads back up after the hurricane. it's sad to see such beautiful wood go to burning...but it's better than sitting there rotting. if i had a dumptruck...i could fill it in an hour easy just collecting stuff off the sides of the road....there is still that much wood lying around! at my parents place i still need to clear up the hedge surrounding the upper property and there is, if i remember correctly...3 huge black cherry trees, a handful of birch and aspen, a couple black walnut trees and one massive sycamore that fell over (very sad..it's a HUGE tree and obviously very old) but like i said i'm not going to let it just rot there. there are just sooo many trees that the wind blew over.

we had a big white birch in my parents yard that we planted for mothers day 29 years ago...and it was sooooo beautiful. that fell over on the friday night the storm hit...it was really sad to see that go. but in the end we saved some of the main trunk logs and had most of them sawed up and sent to a kiln...i'm going to make 2 really cool desks out of those for my brother and I. i need to make a few picture frames for my sister out of the branches...and lastly i had a piece cut and sent to the kiln that i'm going to use as the stock blank for a Kentucky longrifle flintlock that i'm building. that tree is sticking around one way or another!!!

Jackpot, indeed! :eek:

Phenomenal! All of the fun parts (cutting, splitting, stacking) & none of the bad (limbing, hauling). Great score! I'd be tempted to get a portable mill.

Reactions: Applesister
Pay the $50 and tip the driver real nice then give him a nice bottle for his boss. Personally, I would try and get two or three loads if possible.

Fantastic deal . . . treat him right.

Riggs does this have anything to do with "Sandy"?

The reason I ask is because I had a quote to have trees removed before Sandy for $3,500. I just got a quote for $4,500 for less trees and work on the job. The guy told me he is paying more to get rid of the wood now.

Status
Not open for further replies.